Music!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
pacman000

Music!

Postby pacman000 » January 17th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Pokemon Blue had a really awesome tune when you battle your rival for the last time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHjciyJZIiA

Always wondered why it wasn't used in the Anime. Turns out it was. They used it every episode; I just couldn't recognize it. Listen closely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48S_q42YQkw

Any other classic game music you like?

lynchie137

Re: Music!

Postby lynchie137 » January 18th, 2018, 5:28 pm

A few games that I always thought had great music:

1) Mega Man 2. This to me will always set the standard when it comes to great music in a video game. All the tracks for each stage are super catchy and super melodic. If there ever was a CD (or cassette) that was released back in the day that featured these songs done by rock bands or a few electronica artists, it would have probably sold like hot cakes imho.

2) The Magic of Schererzade. This is a little known game that I played a lot as a kid. Always enjoyed the musical score to this one. Especially the eerie, ominous score for the boss stages. I'd love to hear a doom metal band cover it someday...

3) Blades of Steel. Not much tuneage here. But I always thought that the music that played in the background as both teams were skating out on the ice just before you started playing was pretty cool.

4) Golden Axe. Very cool and menacing music at the title screen. And a rousing score while the game is going on. If this doesn't get you in the mood to slay some minions of Death Adder while drinking a flagon of mead, then you need to check your pulse. ;-)

There are, of course, more games I could mention. But these are four that instantly come to mind.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » January 18th, 2018, 8:39 pm

Bubble Bobble on the NES..

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 19th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Not really video game music, but I love Sounds of the Show in MLB: The Show. I can put the Fox music set to a broadcast theme, or I can change it as I please. For example, I played the 1989 NLCS, and the theme that NBC used for their broadcasts was a song called "Heroes", by a composer named Steve Martin. I can put the Wrigley organ to play as walk-up music.

Adds quite a bit to the game.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » January 19th, 2018, 6:01 pm

Final Fantasy III (6) on the SNES has a fantastic soundtrack.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » January 19th, 2018, 6:02 pm

lynchie137 wrote:A few games that I always thought had great music:

1) Mega Man 2. This to me will always set the standard when it comes to great music in a video game. All the tracks for each stage are super catchy and super melodic. If there ever was a CD (or cassette) that was released back in the day that featured these songs done by rock bands or a few electronica artists, it would have probably sold like hot cakes imho.

2) The Magic of Schererzade. This is a little known game that I played a lot as a kid. Always enjoyed the musical score to this one. Especially the eerie, ominous score for the boss stages. I'd love to hear a doom metal band cover it someday...

3) Blades of Steel. Not much tuneage here. But I always thought that the music that played in the background as both teams were skating out on the ice just before you started playing was pretty cool.

4) Golden Axe. Very cool and menacing music at the title screen. And a rousing score while the game is going on. If this doesn't get you in the mood to slay some minions of Death Adder while drinking a flagon of mead, then you need to check your pulse. ;-)

There are, of course, more games I could mention. But these are four that instantly come to mind.

OCremix has a bunch of megaman music that is pretty dang good.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 19th, 2018, 9:35 pm

TWO things:

1. If you dig the MM2 soundtrack, YouTube Bit Brigade. They cover the soundtrack live while a fan plays the game.

2. As great as the MM2 soundtrack is, Battle Kid 2 still has my favorite tunes. The game (and the soundtrack) is basically a faster Mega Man. Love it.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 21st, 2018, 9:21 pm

@ Alucard1191
@ Voor

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll be sure to check 'em out soon. Cheers.

rahimtx

Postby rahimtx » January 22nd, 2018, 2:35 pm

I always thought Rygar (NES) had great music.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » January 22nd, 2018, 4:19 pm

I've always said, for my money, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night has the best video game soundtrack ever. And I mean literally "for my money"... since it's the only game soundtrack that I've ever bought. Lots of great soundtracks out there, but that was the only one that ever grabbed my attention that strongly and made me have to buy it.

Return to “Classic Gaming”