Bosconian clone comming to the Atari 2600!!!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Atariboy

Re: Bosconian clone comming to the Atari 2600!!!

Postby Atariboy » October 11th, 2017, 11:10 pm

What's the first game pictured in your post? And I didn't know that there was a Galaga homebrew for the 2600.

Out of curiosity, are you finished with the audio for Draconian? Amazing conversion of Bosconian, with about the only thing I can even pick up on that isn't present here being the background audio of the arcade game. Haven't fired up the arcade game too recently, but there was something like music or engine noises in the background during gameplay (in addition to the sound effects and voice work that are of course already present in some form on Draconian).

I think I prefer it this way, actually.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » October 12th, 2017, 11:28 am

It's called RPG, a test of a multi-color tile based display. You can wander around the world and collect coins, which are used to buy a shield and a sword from the store (you'll have to search to find enough coins to buy both). RPG has some interesting features, like the terrain you're on controls how fast you move, and some of the tiles are animated.

The other demos are basically images to see how far we could push TIA using bus stuffing. Do note that the full color bitmap is very flickery.

They're all available via that bus stuffing link. They all run on an Atari via the Harmony Cart; though some systems don't work quite right with bus stuffing, juniors in particular (most likely due to a cost-cutting motherboard revision). RPG runs on Stella 5.0.0-pre8 or newer, while the other demos require Stella 5.0.0-pre6 or pre7. I still need to update those to the latest version of BUS so they'll run under the current build of Stella, I've just been too busy wrapping up Draconian to do so. It's being released next weekend at PRGE, they're having a huge to-do about the 2600's 40th anniversary. I'll be appearing on the Atari Anniversary Series: Old Consoles Never Die panel alongside Al Yarusso, John Champeau, Tim Lapetino and Howard Scottt Warshaw (!).

One issue with the 2600 is there's only 2 audio channels, one of which gets taken over to play back the samples, so we decided to drop most of the background noises. We kept the condition red one as it helps set the urgency.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 12th, 2017, 12:59 pm

SpiceWare wrote:What we're doing in the homebrew community is just continuing the long tradition of putting extra hardware in the cartridge. It started off with extra ROM (the 2600's limited to 4K cartridges), figuring out how to add extra RAM (the 2600's cartridge port doesn't contain the required signal lines for RAM), and the addition of coprocessors like the DPC processor used to great effect in Activision's Pitfall 2. Sadly the 2600's market collapsed before Activision could pursue that any further as DPC has some interesting features not utilized by Pitfall 2.

Later consoles used it to great effect as well, I'm aware of a large number of options for the NES and the Super NES. I'm sure others used them, like the Genesis to pull of Virtua Racing, though I haven't looked into it.

Basically the homebrew community is not just doing homebrew software, we're also doing homebrew hardware.

Don't worry, I wasn't trying to dismiss this effort as somehow illegitimate. My favorite 2600 game, Pitfall II, has a processor in its cartridge too.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 21st, 2017, 1:16 pm

Browsing DP after they closed via the Wayback Machine, I found this:

http://www.digitpress.com/reviews/mission3000ad.htm

So, Bit Corp. already made a crude clone of Bosconian for the 2600, way back in the 80's.

Here's it's page on AtariAge: http://atariage.com/software_page.php?S ... belID=1637

scotland

Postby scotland » February 20th, 2018, 4:36 pm

https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1107

Just thought I'd bump this thread. SpiceWare comes around here once in awhile, and he has made a Bosconian port for the Atari 2600 called Draconian.

It looks pretty fun. Its 32K, so no way could this have been made back in the day when games were often around 4k. Its built with a Melody board, which is interesting in itself
https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=page_view&p=atariage_melody

Its even got an attempt at sounding like "Alert Alert" with incoming fighter packs.

If anyone gets one, let us know how you like it.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » February 21st, 2018, 3:47 pm

The speech from the arcade machine is difficult to understand as well. In Draconian's manual we list them as this:
Your space fighter is equipped with an advanced on-board SMART ASSISTANT (or ‘SMARTASS’ for short) which will verbally inform you of combat conditions:
  • BLAST OFF!–- You’ve entered a new sector and are ready for action!
  • ALERT! ALERT!–- Enemy in vicinity.
  • BATTLE STATIONS!–- Enemy formation is heading towards you.
  • SPY SHIP SIGHTED!–- SPY SHIP in vicinity.
  • CONDITION RED!–- The enemy is sending their entire attack fleet after you! Run away!

ALERT! ALERT! is listed at Wiki, while StrategyWiki says its ALARM! ALARM! or Alive! Alive!.

The samples used in Draconian were converted from the Arcade samples, so it's a case of "garbage in garbage out". Even though they're hard to understand, each phrase is distinct enough that you'll learn what they are over time.

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » May 18th, 2018, 12:01 pm

ZeroPage Homebrew played through all sectors of the A, B, Γ and Δ quadrants in Draconian. Took almost 3 1/2 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC7ov4mzYzo

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » March 14th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Wow, this guy scored 616,000 points. Haven't seen anybody score higher than that.

It can show 7 digits in-game:
post-3056-0-14418300-1552419681.png
post-3056-0-14418300-1552419681.png (2.95 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

and it preserves the 8th digit for display on the menu screen:
post-3056-0-15553600-1552419685.png
post-3056-0-15553600-1552419685.png (4.12 KiB) Viewed 2217 times

SpiceWare

Postby SpiceWare » March 16th, 2021, 8:43 pm

Ran across a nice review of Draconian that was posted a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwKGmnuAqPA

DocHix

Postby DocHix » March 17th, 2021, 3:41 pm

I bought a boxed copy from Atariage.com several months ago...great memories of playing the coin op "Bosconian" at a Circle K in California in the early 80s...always my little brother's favorite game. The SpiceWare folks did a great job...it looks/sounds/plays like "Bosconian". If you liked the arcade game, you won't be disappointed. I hope that SpiceWare will consider giving us a 32K "Time Pilot" homebrew sometime!

Return to “Classic Gaming”