GameBoy Suggestions?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Orion1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Orion1 » May 25th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Critic, you crack me up.  You say the GB games are expensive, yet you have a section for every other system, including Neo Geo.  

Anyway, Donkey Kong should be the one you review first.  I've seen how much you enjoy the other Donkey Kong ports for all the different systems.  You always mention how some versions have two, three, or all four of the original screens.  Well, this version has those four, plus 97 more.  Okay, the 97 additional screens don't play exactly like the classic ones, but they are in the spirit of Donkey Kong.

Plus, if you play DK on the Super Game Boy, you get extras, like an arcade cabinet border.

Metroid II would be another obvious choice.  Of course, if you take all our suggestions, you'll just be reviewing the good games, and the GB review section will be full of good grades.  For that reason, you may want to review something like Fish Dude.  

darkrage61

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby darkrage61 » May 25th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Almost forgot, Donkey Kong Land.

Glitchologteam1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Glitchologteam1 » May 26th, 2013, 11:35 am

Like some people said, you can play game boy game on the Super Game Boy for SNES (it will be probaly easier to see what happen).

I would like you to review the three mortal kombat games that came out on the game boy and the fourth on the GBC. Althought Mortal Kombat 1 , 2 and 3 are very good game to me, im pretty sure you will only like the second game, because the first one is very slow and unressponsive to people that are not accoustumed to its control and because the third game is glitched

chrisbid1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby chrisbid1 » May 26th, 2013, 1:53 pm

a lot of game stores sell gameboy carts that do not have mario/link/pokemon for super cheap.

a couple of suggestions

alleyway - great breakout clone that plays great on the GB
qix - probably my favorite port of the arcade game, it becomes an almost different game with its slower speed.  much more enjoyable really.

Pacman0001

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Pacman0001 » May 26th, 2013, 2:09 pm

While I've never played it, I would like to see a review of Donkey Kong.  If I remember that promotional materials correctly, Nintendo expanded it to include nearly 100 levels.  You would get a bit more out of the game if you have a Super Game Boy.  On the Super Game Boy, it has a special border, and it plays in full-color. 

I would also like to see reviews for Super Mario Land, and Super Mario Land 2: The Six Golden Coins.  I had lots of fun with those games; I still do from time-to-time.

a1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby a1 » May 26th, 2013, 3:59 pm

You have a Game.com section and you don't think Game Boy games sound appealing?!! Arg!

Anyway, I think that all these suggestions are great, but you need to start with the core Nintendo games which defined the system, and if you don't insist on getting the games complete (just get dust covers), then all of these are cheap.

Starting a Game Boy section without Tetris, Donkey Kong and Mario Land--the games that defined the system in its early years-- would be like if your Genesis section didn't have Sonic, Altered Beast and Streets of Rage. Here are what I would say defined the system (excluding the Pokemon series):

Tetris-Yes it's just Tetris but it's why the system sold and it started the craze

Donkey Kong-An excellent game that has many elements which you'll find in Mario vs Donkey Kong (not the lemmings portions but the Mario puzzle parts).

Mario Land-Not the best game, but Mario's first foray onto the Game Boy. Again, it would be sacreligious not to include it.

Mario Land 2--The least important historically in my list, but this game is actually a great entry in the franchise. I prefer it over the uninspired New Super Mario Bros 2. It actually has good graphics, and a unique power-up in the franchise. Short but fun themed worlds are great for on the go.

Kirby's Dream Land-The game that launched the Kirby franchise. Simple but fun.

Zelda Link's Awakening-This is, and I expect backlash for saying this, my favorite 2d Zelda. Regardless of its ranking in the series, it's a great game. They also released an upgraded, color Zelda Link's Awakening DX edition for the Game Boy Color.

And these will look better on a Game Boy Advance SP. Or you can play them on the tv if you get a Super Game Boy. I think after these are reviewed you can move on to slightly more obscure stuff, such as third party games, the exclusive Kid Icarus of Myths and Monsters and Metroid 2.

Really, I don't understand your aversion to the system. It has a lot of great, original games. And I didn't grow up with it so that's not nostalgia talking

chuckee71

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby chuckee71 » May 26th, 2013, 3:59 pm

I prefer Metroid II, R-Type, and the Gradius games: Nemesis and Gradius the Interstellar Assault.

a1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby a1 » May 26th, 2013, 4:13 pm

[QUOTE=chuckee7]I prefer Metroid II, R-Type, and the Gradius games: Nemesis and Gradius the Interstellar Assault.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I'm just pushing my above point. These are great suggestions, and I especially love the Game Boy R-Type, but with the possible exception of Metroid II, these are not key titles.

I really think that to start a Game Boy review section, it's only proper to review the games that truly defined the system. It's like having a control group in an experiment. If he ranks the core games, then he has a basis on what to judge against. After that, I think it would be great if he branched out and started reviewing other games, and we should start a thread for them. But right now, he's looking for key titles, not our favorite game boy games.

Greisha1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Greisha1 » May 26th, 2013, 7:58 pm

If you want a game to spew bile at, you could review The Castlevania Adventure. That one WAS NOT good.

weallmissedme1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 27th, 2013, 12:00 am

I recommend this game called Probotector. It's alot like Contra, even the MUSIC is the same. I found it at a garage sale and got it along with the Konami Collection volume one which has four awesome games! Including CastleVania, the adventure, and the aforementioned Probotector.

Return to “Classic Gaming”