GameBoy Suggestions?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 27th, 2013, 2:39 am

Probotector and Contra are one and the same franchise. For some reasons, Contra games were never released in PAL countries under their original names, they were localized as "Probotector", and went through a slight makeover, as you control humanoid robots instead of soldiers. That's pretty much it.
I do recommend the Konami GameBoy Colour comps, there are four of those, and they'll give you access to some of the best titles for the system, such as Castlevania II and Contra-Operation C!

TheLastNightmare1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » May 27th, 2013, 4:13 am

All the obvious titles have already been covered, except for MegaMan V. It's an original game in the series, and a bit..odd. Megaman has a rocket punch, for example, with less range than the Megabuster. But, it can be upgraded to deliver multiple hits. All of the enemy bosses are named for planets. There's Super Gameboy palettes offered, just in case you've been curious what the ugliest possible Megaman game would look like...

Beyond that, I'll simply suggest checking out these guides.

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/nintendo/gameboy

weallmissedme1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby weallmissedme1 » May 27th, 2013, 10:46 am

I must mention that the compilations give you this AWESOME racing game called Konami Racing. It's a fantastic arcade style racer on the go.

Leo1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Leo1 » May 27th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I suppose it can hardly be called a must have title, but I liked Solar Striker. And I believe it's a very cheap game to acquire.

I'm not sure I ever played another vertical shooter on the original Game Boy, but I thought this one was very good. And it has some of my favorite music from the original Game Boy.

Worth a look if the price is right. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xH3pSDZGM4

Captain_Crunch1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » May 28th, 2013, 3:07 am

In all honesty, most classic Game Boy didn't age too well. However, there are some you still might enjoy. I especially recommend Super Mario Land 2: Golden Coins and Kirby's Block Ball (a very enjoyable variant of Breakout).

Oltobaz1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 28th, 2013, 5:22 am

I believe we covered most of the main titles. Thought I'd mention a few more suggestions:

1/ Revenge of the Gator: One of the best 8-Bit pinball games out there, if not the best (As long as Devil Crush on Pc Engine/TG 16 is considered 16 Bit^^), a fun game with a catchy tune and attractive graphics, loads of replay value. Coudn't believe my eyes when my brother managed to obtain the top score centuries ago (can't remember exactly, but it was along the lines of 99999999..). Like Devil Crush, it features many different screens, various events, and I like the cutesy Gator theme..

2/ Kwirk: Addictive puzzle game that becomes hard as hell in the later levels. It doesn't look like much, totally worth playing however.

3/ The three Final Fantasy Legend games: I don't expect Dave to review these jRPGs anytime soon, but I thought I'd mention they exist. US titles are misleading, as these games actually belong to the SAGA series, the first two are the first RPGs I've ever played. As an RPG addict, I think they've aged like wine, but they may be difficult to get into nowadays... A shame the Wonderswan and Ds remakes never made it past Japanese shores.

4/ Mystic Quest: Great action RPG, came out before Link's Awakening. The GBA remake features splendid SNES like graphics. In fact, this game belongs ot the Seiken Densetsu aka Secret of Mana series, absolutely worth playing..

5/ Mercenary Force: Leo mentioned Solar Striker, an awesome by the book vertical shooter. Mercenary Force is yet another early Gb title that's worth hunting down. An horizontal shooter taking place in feodal Japan, it lets you custom a team of Ninjas, peasants, monks and samuraïs, you can purchase weapons through stores here and therre.. Pretty unique!

6/ The GB is also home to some great beath them ups, such as three Double Dragon, three Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles ...

7/ Perhaps not as well known as the NES version, I'd describe Batman as a pretty solid "run and gun platformer". With access to Bruce's vehicles and awesome Sunsoft musics, it doesn't have the best graphics, but it plays extremely well still.

8/ People usually hate Maru's Mission... but I like it as a crazy Japanese platformer. Better watch some vids before getting this one, though!

That's all for now..^^

FinalLapTwinkie1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » June 1st, 2013, 11:21 pm

I have not noticed the prices being high, but the carts themselves have had some durability problems. I have had two of the Game and Watch carts quit working and a couple of other titles. Road Rash will only play on an original GB.

Tried Road Rash and the carts that caused problems on the Super Gameboy, N64 GB Hunter(knock off Gameboy player that uses cheap music to replace the sound from the cart) and Gamecube Gameboy adaptor. All failed to load the games. Anyone else have faulty carts or know how to fix them?

It would be cool to see reviews of Killer Instinct, Mole Mania, Quarth, Uno and your thoughts on some of the sports games like NFL Football, FIFA Soccer and maybe Big Hurt Baseball.

a1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby a1 » June 2nd, 2013, 11:56 am

I've never come across a bad Game Boy cart. In fact, I've only purchased 2 bad cartrdges in my life, one NES and one DS.

I imagine that you might see more bad portable carts because kids might toss them loose into backpacks, and as durable as they are, they aren't indestructable.

Oltobaz1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 2nd, 2013, 11:58 am

Yeah, you'd think they're durable, but I did come across a faulty copy of Looney Tunes (black cartridge) I bought at a garage sales. No matter what kind of GB system I've tried it with, the game will ALWAYS come up with all sorts of glitches, making it virtually unplayable. Dig hard enough though, and I bet you'll find faulty carts on any system! 

a1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby a1 » June 2nd, 2013, 12:20 pm

I usually buy games at game stores or online where they're guaranteed to work. The bad NES cart I came across was from a box of games I bought from someone on craigslist. If I did more garage sale shopping I'm sure I'd find more.

Return to “Classic Gaming”