GameBoy Suggestions?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2013, 2:46 pm

A lot of readers have lamented the lack of Game Boy reviews.  These old carts are surprisingly expensive, and the thought of reviewing black-and-white games is less than appealing.

Still, I am willing to hear your suggestions and recommendations.  Maybe I can just focus in on a few key titles for now.

What say you?!

Rev1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Rev1 » May 25th, 2013, 3:20 pm

I really like the Super Mario Land series as well as the game Bart vs. The Juggernauts. That Simpson game is pretty simple but pretty entertaining. It is also dirt cheap. The game takes place in a game show and the purpose is to win enough points to continue onto the next round of events. The mini games are pretty simple if you put some time into it, although some of the controls are pretty bad. I still thought it was an enjoyable game though.

Pacman0001

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Pacman0001 » May 25th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Tetris was the system's pack-in game.  It's generally well regarded.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on it, since you have played Tetris on many systems.

I'm also interested on hearing your thoughts on Pokemon, (Red, Blue, Yellow, the version dosen't matter.)

I should note that old Game Boy games have limited color on the Game boy Advance/Game Boy Color, so you won't be playing completely monochromatic games.  A few games, the ones in black cartridges, play in full-color.

Shogun1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Shogun1 » May 25th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Here is a list of games that I'd like to see reviewed.

Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge - The music is awesome and in my eyes, this might be the best of the Black and White Game Boy.
Contra: Alien Wars
Donkey Kong - Another must play. Takes the old Donkey Kong Formula to another level. Plenty of stages to play.
Donkey Kong Land - Basically the Donkey Kong Country of the Game Boy.
Donkey Kong Land II
Donkey Kong Land III
Gargoyle's Quest - A spin off on Ghosts 'n Goblins where you control Red Arremor. Similar to Demon's Crest for SNES except this came before it.
Gradius: Interstellar Assault
Kid Dracula - Parody of the Castlevania series where you control Dracula as a kid. It is a platformer but it is pricey.
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters
Mega Man I-V - Basically portable versions of the Mega Man games for NES. Can get pricey though.
Metroid II - Sequel to the NES Metroid.
Ninja Gaiden Shadow - Was originally supposed to be a sequel to Shadow of the Ninja for NES but turned into a Ninja Gaiden game.
Operation C - Another Contra game for the Game Boy.
Super Mario Land
Super Mario Land 2
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - There is actually a Game Boy Color version of this game called Link's Awakening DX.

You probably collect cartridge games complete so it might be a challenge to hunt down some of these games with box and manual. I just collect cartridge only though so I've been able to get games cheaper. It is much easier to find GBA games complete and sometimes on amazon you can buy some games new for a reasonable price. I also play my Game Boy games on the Game Boy Player for GameCube which makes visibility better but you can also play Game Boy games on the Game Boy Advance or GBA SP which the SP has a backlight.

Segatarious1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby Segatarious1 » May 25th, 2013, 4:26 pm

DK 94
Legend of Zelda Links Awakening

BTW the Mario Land games are disappointing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 25th, 2013, 4:37 pm

I am especially interested in games that were only available for the GameBoy.  I wouldn't really be interested in reviewing the Mega Man games for the system.

darkrage61

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby darkrage61 » May 25th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Castlevania: The Adventure

BorntoRun1

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby BorntoRun1 » May 25th, 2013, 7:22 pm

Miner 2049'er, Burgertime Deluxe, Baseball, Speedball II, Galaga/Galaxian, Defender/Joust, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, Donkey Kong  ('94), Q-Bert, Prince of Persia

I started collecting (after a 15 year hiatus) in 2007, when Gameboy games were still being sold at GameStop. This allowed me to amass a decent-sized collection of these old games relatively cheaply. 

scotland171

GameBoy Suggestions?

Postby scotland171 » May 25th, 2013, 10:24 pm

This is exciting news.   I play my Gameboy and Gameboy Colors on my GBA SP-101 with nice backlit screen.  Boosts the color palette for the original grey Gameboy games (at least its a whole bit better than 4 shades of green).   I also play them on the Gamecube using the GBA adapter and disc, and use those controllers.  I have not used the SNES adapter, but I don't recall any negatives with the Gamecube adapter.

I will also advocated Links Awakening and Star Trek 25th Anniversary.  Tetris is interesting as the systems killer app that moved product - and how different is it really from my logic based games through the years - Freecell, Shanghai, to Angry Birds today.  If the world of portable gaming began with Tetris, and mobile gaming with Angry Birds, then how different are they.

As for adding to your collection, since Nintendo original Gameboy compatible handhelds like my SP are fading fast in this dual screen world, maybe GB and GBC prices will fall or their availability rise sharply in the next year or so. Spring is garage sale time, so maybe its hunting season.  A good number of all my GB, GBC and even GBA came from family whose children outgrew them and knew I would enjoy them.

Return to “Classic Gaming”