First Gaming Addiction?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby Oltobaz1 » March 16th, 2014, 3:43 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]Skool Daze on the ZX Spectrum, I'd rename all the characters with my own teachers and pupils with my friends. Sometimes I would just spend a day at the school and not even try with the objectives. True sandbox gaming before the term even existed.[/QUOTE]

Renaming characters with people you know is cool, I do that too, with Final Fantasy games for instance, any game that let you do that is good fun in my book. Was disappointed with more recent FF games, as great as they are, they dropped one of my favorite features, ever! 

El_Shamro1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby El_Shamro1 » March 16th, 2014, 6:28 pm

My first: Kirby's Dreamland. My aunt bought me a Game Boy and that game for my birthday once, and I played the hell out of that game.

Wallyworld1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 16th, 2014, 8:44 pm

I remember staying up all night playing missile command when I was 7 years old. That would have been in 1984. Little did I know the NES was right around the corner.

Ozzybear1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby Ozzybear1 » March 17th, 2014, 6:44 am

Missile command was also one of my first addictions, as was Vanguard and Joust.
There are many others as well, but those are a few that really stick out that I
remember playing quite a bit when I was younger !

Ozzy

nesfan1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby nesfan1 » March 17th, 2014, 7:47 am

When I was around 4 or 5, I played Punch-Out!! so much that I got a case of tendinitis in my right hand. I had to go see a doctor for it. The worst part? I couldn't play Nintendo for a while. 

Tron1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby Tron1 » March 17th, 2014, 7:21 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz][QUOTE=Sut]Skool Daze on the ZX Spectrum, I'd rename all the characters with my own teachers and pupils with my friends. Sometimes I would just spend a day at the school and not even try with the objectives. True sandbox gaming before the term even existed.[/QUOTE]

Renaming characters with people you know is cool, I do that too, with Final Fantasy games for instance, any game that let you do that is good fun in my book. Was disappointed with more recent FF games, as great as they are, they dropped one of my favorite features, ever! [/QUOTE]

I did that with Baseball Stars. Its an awesome feature that should be in more games.

On topic: My first addictions were on Intellevision: Night Stalker, Tron's Deadly Discs, Lock N Chase & Snafu.

gleebergloben1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby gleebergloben1 » March 17th, 2014, 10:10 pm

The first video game that I was completely addicted to was the handheld Mattel Football and boy oh boy did I play that game a ton.

N64Dude1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby N64Dude1 » March 20th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Super Smash Bros. on the 64,good heavens that game was addictive.

starblazers1

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby starblazers1 » March 21st, 2014, 5:16 am

The arcade game Pacman.

scotland171

First Gaming Addiction?

Postby scotland171 » March 21st, 2014, 8:53 am

[QUOTE=gleebergloben]The first video game that I was completely addicted to was the handheld Mattel Football and boy oh boy did I play that game a ton.[/QUOTE]

Wow.  I totally understand this.   Carried one around with me for a long time, and I think I still have the muscle memory in my fingers to end run for a touchdown.  I'm sure they were in every boy's backpack in the late 70s or so, but then they seem to fade away rather quickly.

Those LED dedicated chip games were portable, addictive, reasonably priced, highly durable, and some had great controls with early D-pads before the Game & Watch.  Funny that Mattel and Coleco, that made wonderful handheld games with simple solid controls, both went for complex control schemes when they made consoles.  Different divisions of the company I guess, or the handhelds were toys, and the consoles in a computer or adult division, or some such.

For those that think pre-Gameboy dedicated chip gaming were just LCD games like the infamous Tiger games, pick up one of these LED handhelds one day.  They made reproductions of Mattel Baseball and Football a few years back that are easy to come by, but even the originals often still work.  It will give you something to use that pile of 9v smoke detector batteries with. Coleco had some good ones too, and there were some other companies as well.  Later Football models had passing.  If I recall, hockey and soccer and basketball for Mattel were basically the same game with different cases.  I still have my 'sub hunt' game - its blue with a d-pad and a single side button, and the game is more audio than visual as you hunt for subs using sonar clues before the sub torpedoes you.  Very creative really, and very addictive...in a good way.

Return to “Classic Gaming”