Crown Jewel of your collection?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 25th, 2014, 7:02 pm

What items in your collection do you cherish the most?

I terms of consoles, I'm going with my Turbo Duo.  I bought this system new for $200 around the year 2000.  It plays Turbografx-16 games, discs, and even PC Engine CDs. These are extremely hard to find.

As far as games, I'd think I'd have to go with Steel Battalion, which comes with its own massive controller with 50+ buttons.  It's a marvel that I keep on display in my game room.

Your turn, but try to limit to one or two items.  I don't want to see long lists.

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » August 25th, 2014, 8:48 pm

As far as consoles go, I'm going to have to go with my Turbo Express with the TV tuner attachment and original NEC power adapter. From what I understand, the Turbo Express is very very hard to find unless you get one off ebay at an inflated price. Even the power adapter is rarity. At the moment I only own 2 games for it but I'm always on the lookout for TG-16 games at thrift shops, flea markets, and yard sales. The games for it seem to be a very hard find as well. [frown]

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » August 25th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Since I've got half the Nintendo consoles available... sans Japanese Famicom, Super Famicom (JP hardware), Double Disk 64, Gamecube(!):

The Virtual Boy. This is apparently super freaking rare in the Midwest, bordering non-existent.

In today's world you're lucky to get more than four games for the system in one bundle. 

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » August 26th, 2014, 2:48 am

In terms of consoles, as far as sheer collector value, I'd mention my PC Engine LT, Taiwanese Super A'Can and low serial Neo Geo AES (sought after for the superior RGB quality).

Weekend_Warrior1

Postby Weekend_Warrior1 » August 26th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Right now, I'd say my copy of Space Megaforce for the Super Nintendo. 

Unlike most rare video games, this one is extremely good and probably one of the best shmups on the SNES.

I'd still love to stumble upon a copy of Aero Fighters. It's always been at the top of my want list 

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » August 26th, 2014, 5:32 pm

I got quite a few I'm really fond of but my favorite console is probably a toss up between my PC Engine Duo R+ Arcade Card or the Turbografx+ CD attachment+Super System Card 3.0. Both are very rare and hard to find in solid condition. Since they both play pretty much the same games (except one for Japanese HU cards, and the other for U.S. I'd lump them together.

For games, probably my favorite (and most rare) game I own is the U.S. copy of Dynastic Hero for the T-16. The price tends to fluctuate quite drastically, but it goes upward of $1000. If I ever get Magical Chase, that'll replace this as my crown jewel, I suppose. The game also comes up on the open market only a couple times a year so unless you are very persistent (which I was, I checked auctions several times a day, every day for months), or lucky, you'll never find it.

Calysma1

Postby Calysma1 » August 27th, 2014, 8:45 am

My most cherished console would probably be an original Game Boy with an LED backlight mod, which I bought off eBay for about AUD$40–50 a few months back. I'd wanted an original Game Boy for a fair while (for curiosity's sake, if nothing else) but had never been able to justify the purchase until I found this; it's effectively a poor man's Game Boy Light.

My most treasured game in my collection would undoubtedly be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PS1. This title regularly goes for about $100 on eBay, so when I saw it on sale at a second-hand shop a few years ago for only $19.95, I couldn't hand my money over fast enough.  

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » August 27th, 2014, 11:34 am

[QUOTE=Calysma]My most treasured game in my collection would undoubtedly be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the PS1. This title regularly goes for about $100 on eBay, so when I saw it on sale at a second-hand shop a few years ago for only $19.95, I couldn't hand my money over fast enough.  [/QUOTE]

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless the game is sealed, there is no way it goes for $100. The game has been going for $30-45 for years. I rechecked eBay and pretty much confirmed the price.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » August 27th, 2014, 1:45 pm

My most crown jewel is my Mortal Kombat II arcade cabinet.  Love that thing.

Thinking hard about rare games that I've got.

I've got a complete in box copy with Star Map of Star Control II for the 3DO.  A few years ago that was a game that would fetch about $100 on ebay.  In recent years it seems to have come down a bit.

I have a copy of Resident Evil 4 for the Gamecube still in shrink wrap.
I also have a shrink wrapped copy of Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes for the GC.

I have a game case and disk (no manual) of Gotcha Force for the Gamecube.  That fetches a pretty penny.

I have a copy of Wings of Wor in shrink for the Genesis....no idea if that is worth anything.

I also have a copy of Mutant League Football in Shrink.

I have a new copy of Mega Man 8 for the Saturn...which I think sells for quite a bit.

Who the hell knows what other stuff I have lying around.  I've moved a couple of times in the past five years and I've yet to get my collection all under one roof.  Need to get on that.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » August 27th, 2014, 7:19 pm

Wow, you guys have some amazing stuff.  Very cool.

Japanese Duo R - It plays both US and Japanese CDs along with Japanese Hu Cards

Snatcher Sega CD

Metal Wolf Chaos for the Xbox - mainly because no one else seems to have it on this board and it's freaking awesome.  [smile]

Return to “Classic Gaming”