Best Nintendo 64 Multiplayer Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » July 25th, 2012, 8:48 pm

The Nintendo 64 is widely regarded as one of the best mutliplayer consoles of all time, if not the best, and for good reason. It's games were simple enough in concept, but were spectacular to play with friends. hich ones are your favorites? And yes it's probably obvious.

Here's mine in no order.

Goldeneye: This classic set the standard for how multiplayer games should be. The quality and depth of the gameplay and its replay value are simply amazing for a 1997 release. Few games have ever surpassed this in terms of multiplayer fun, and my friends and I always love playing this game.

Mario Party: All three games are great. Even so, Mario Party 1 is the best, because its gameplay focuses more on skill than luck. as it did in the other games. This game was so original and so much fun to play, except some of the games which gave me blisters on my hand. Ouch! Even so, this is the ultimate time killer.

Mario Kart 64- Diddy Kong Racing has a better single player mode, but it cannot hold a candle to Mario Kart's multiplayer. You can do a four player vs mode, or battle it out in battle mode. Addicting as hell and fun to piss off your friends, no other racing game could touch this games multiplayer.

Super Smash Bros- Aw yeah. Probably the best multiplayer game on the N64, Super Smash was good as a single player game, but was an A+ in terms of multiplayer. Nine stages with 12 characters, a boatload of items and options you could customize made this a blast. The first time I played this in 1999, I couldn't stop. It's chaotic as hell, and was one of the most original fighting games ever. It was also super fast and furious.

F-Zero X- While not as good as Mario Kart's, it was still exciting as hell. Imagine having four racers on a screen with super fast 60 fps gameplay and out of control races. You had F-Zero X. Also, the X course randomly generates different courses each time you play it, making it ideal for multiplayer parties. 

Pokemon Stadium 2- In terms of Multiplayer, this game had it all. The mingames were a huge improvement from its predecessor, the battles had even more pokemon to experiment with, and it was all just so much fun. Underrated in terms of multiplayer.

Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey- This is known as the N64's first Four player game. If you had Four Players, you needed to have this game. It's chaotic as hell, and scoring as easy as pie. It's also great fun to look at replays, as well as knock over your foes with tackles. Who could forget the fire shots? Overall, great multiplayer experience.

There's way more than that, but these titles stand out the most to me.

JWK1

Postby JWK1 » July 26th, 2012, 12:02 pm

My experience with the system was pretty limited, but I literally played MP Mario Kart 64 at least a couple times a week for at least 2 years straight in high school.  The mechanics have gotten much better in the later Mario Karts (especially the two most recent handheld versions), but based purely on nostalgia, MK64 would be one of my favorite games of all time.  Hitting my best friends with a turtle shell at the very last second, stopping them inches before the finish line, then whizzing by them and taking first place?  Or getting that perfect jump on Rainbow Road and bypassing half a lap?  SO. CLASSIC.  Seriously, those are the moments that perfectly encapsulate my experience with video games and... well, my childhood in general.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 26th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Yep, Goldeneye most definitely.  I can't remember the number of evenings playing Goldeneye multiplayer in college with my fraternity brothers.

There were definitely a fair number of Mario Kart races as well.

But the one that I think gets overlooked is StarFox64.  I'm probably in the minority but I absolutely loved it's rock, paper, scissors approach to multiplayer. You had to have someone beat the game on the hardest path.  Once you did that, both the tank and the little dudes could be used in multiplayer in addition to your Arwing (sp?).  I always loved that.  

I had already graduated college by the time Perfect Dark came out but it received several late night gaming sessions as well.

Good times.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » July 26th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Star Fox 64 (Really very underrated,but it's very simple but fun,also who doesn't like explosions? It's just so satisfying the blast your opponent out of the sky)

Mario Kart 64 (Blueguy,other posters and there grannies have already said what there is to say about multiplayer on this one)

Mario Party 3 (It's like Mario Party but smoothed out,better game selection,improved controls,and the chance to play as Waluigi)

Goldeneye 007 (Just like Mario Kart 64,everyone and their grannies have praised the multiplayer on this one,I have nothing new to add,other than that I agree)

Super Smash Bros. (The single player is a bust,but it's still a better game than Melee,so many hours spent sucking people up,jumping off ,letting them out to far down and floating back as Kirby)

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (Back when Tony Hawk games weren't the laughing stock,great tricks,and I have to admit sabotaging others midway was pretty fun as well,the levels were pretty nice as well)

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » July 26th, 2012, 3:16 pm

I can vouch for Golden Eye, I don't like FPS all that much, but this game is awesome.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 26th, 2012, 5:42 pm

SSB, Goldeneye, or MK64 could easily snag the title for best multiplayer game on the N64, depending on who you ask. Personally, I was always loved Smash Bros and used to play it with my friend Evan everyday after high school. I think we did it for close to 3 years. When the game's internal battery dies I will cry, we have literally tens of thousands of KO's and hours recorded to the game.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 29th, 2012, 8:55 am

Never liked Smash Brothers myself, hated the length of the matches and the way that damage didn't necesarily correlate to winning.  For me:

-Goldeneye: As others have said a great game with great maps.  Playing the likes of Complex on Perfect Dark Zero just went to show how well the levels in this game have aged.  So much variety in there to keep you playing, just like the single player.  Our favoured setup was License to Kill (one hit kills), with Pistols on Archive, crazy fast paced game and nail bitingly tense.

-Quake 2: Again four player, not as many options as Goldeneye but man was it fast paced! Captured the feel of playing Quake on the PC pretty well for me.  The team modes worked really well with the weapon configuration and spawning rates as well.  It made the perfect accompaniement to something like Goldeneye where weapons were more about splash damage than pinpoint precision and it really rewarded learning the maps.  Once this came out our shooter sessions were split pretty much 60% Goldeneye, 40% Quake 2.

-Mario Kart 64: Like everyone else, this was superb.  To be honest I preferred the single player to Diddy Kong as well.  Loves the tracks and variety, I still play this at least once a month with my girlfriend thanks to the fact you still get AI racers when doing 2 player mode.  I'm not so keen on racers with 2 player modes where it's just the two of you as they really do require you to be at exactly the same ability level to be fan.  Battle mode went on for ages with my friends too, I even recall a port of the Blocks track in PC Gamer's roundup of best Quake 1 maps at the time!

-Tetrisphere: Great multiplayer, so good it's fun to play that mode against the CPU.  Super tense and quite claustrophobic when things start going wrong.  The music accompaniement adds a lot too.  I'd say this is the best competitive puzzle game on the system that I've played, but I haven't played Bust a Move on the N64 and that would top it, unless they did a bad port.

-Perfect Dark Zero: Simply because you could have all four of you working against a whole team of 8 bots.  That was just epic and took console shooters to a new level.  Loved the counter ops mode too where you could play the solo campaign against each other.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » July 29th, 2012, 9:16 am

I'd vouch for Wayne Gretzky's 3d Hockey for being somewhere in the "top ten."

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » July 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

-Perfect Dark Zero: Simply because you could have all four of you working against a whole team of 8 bots.  That was just epic and took console shooters to a new level.  Loved the counter ops mode too where you could play the solo campaign against each other.

[/QUOTE]

Um...it's PERFECT DARK, not the 360 version 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 29th, 2012, 5:05 pm

Dr. Mario is one of the most addictive puzzle games of all time, and the N64 version support 4P simultaneous play.

Return to “Classic Gaming”