Sonic 3D Blast is underrated

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 11th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Sonic 3D Blast is considered one of the worst Sonic games ever (seriously???), but I think it's nowhere near that; dare I say I love this game? Genesis version, I haven't played the Saturn version.

Sure, it's a slower Sonic game, but nowhere near as slow as Sonic Labyrinth. I like its approach of "hide and seek" gameplay, where you find enemies with flickies and hit them. There's also plenty of exploration and I love trying to find Tails or Knuckles to get to special stages.
I also dig the idea of getting continues for every ten sonic icons you collect!

There's also NO WATER LEVELS, so this gets bonus points. In addition to what I see as very fun gameplay, the graphics are the best I've seen on the Genesis, the music is amazing, the levels are imaginative, and the boss fights are interesting and challenging. Play this on a compilation like Sonic Mega Collection (Gamecube) and the analog controls will help a lot!!

Overall, I think it's very underrated, and I know it wasn't a true 3D game, but it's a great game in its own way and I loved Sega's approach to the game. What do you guys think?

NAC1

Postby NAC1 » April 12th, 2013, 4:13 am

Sonic 3D Blast is one of those games that I really want to like. I like the graphics and the idea of free roaming gameplay in a Sonic game, especially since I can't recall a 3D Sonic game that didn't have free roaming (unless you count hub worlds or emerald searching stages). Unfortunately, I have a few irks with the game.

Some levels took me a really long time to complete, and the special stages in the Sega Genesis version are ridiculously easy. I actually never even finished the second level due to getting bored from wandering around.

With that said, however, this thread inspired me to give Sonic 3D Blast another chance. I'll give my opinion afterwards.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » April 12th, 2013, 1:31 pm

I also felt this game was underrated, I remember buying it as a new release and being impressed, it is very different from the previous games true, but in a good way.

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » April 12th, 2013, 3:50 pm

I still have my copy.

NAC1

Postby NAC1 » April 12th, 2013, 6:36 pm

[QUOTE]I can't recall a 3D Sonic game that didn't have free roaming[/QUOTE]

I meant to say that I couldn't recall a 3D Sonic game that did have free roaming. I guess that's what I get for posting late at night.

Anyway, as stated, I plan on revisiting this game to give it another chance. It's awesome that this game has people who like it. I agree that it's not one of the worst Sonic games ever, I just couldn't get into it.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 12th, 2013, 6:41 pm

[QUOTE=NAC]Sonic 3D Blast is one of those games that I really want to like. I like the graphics and the idea of free roaming gameplay in a Sonic game, especially since I can't recall a 3D Sonic game that didn't have free roaming (unless you count hub worlds or emerald searching stages). Unfortunately, I have a few irks with the game.

Some levels took me a really long time to complete, and the special stages in the Sega Genesis version are ridiculously easy. I actually never even finished the second level due to getting bored from wandering around.

With that said, however, this thread inspired me to give Sonic 3D Blast another chance. I'll give my opinion afterwards.[/QUOTE]

This sounds exactly like something the critic would say. I would be interested in a rereview, though this game is more of an acquired taste for Sonic fans.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » April 14th, 2013, 6:04 am

Sorry, I cannot agree . Sonic 3D looks awesome (for a Genesis game), but I just can't enjoy it... I miss the speed of the 2D Sonic games and the controls can be annoying.

Gilly1

Postby Gilly1 » April 14th, 2013, 9:50 am

Sonic 3D Blast is a pretty good Genesis game. But it was a disappointing Saturn game because many people were looking forward to a than "next generation" Sonic title that was supposedly being worked on, and ended up getting something that was playable on a 16 bit console.

Algus1

Postby Algus1 » April 14th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Honestly, I hated this one when it was new because it wasn't a "real" Sonic game.  My oh my how times have changed though.   Now that I'm older and having seen where the franchise went, I have a lot more respect for this game.   It's probably still the worst of the Genesis Sonic games (which still means its a masterpiece) but it is a solid classic and one that I would definitely recommend for fans of the Genesis and Sonic games in general.   

Gamehead1

Postby Gamehead1 » April 25th, 2013, 10:21 pm

I think Sonic 3D Blast is underated as well, Sonic 3D Blast had some good ideas, and while they were not all executed perfectly. I think the game is great regardless, I'd still rather play the original series though.

Return to “Classic Gaming”