When Electronic Music Was King in Video Games.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » September 10th, 2013, 12:20 am

It seems like every 32 bit video game from the mid to late 90's had electronic music in it. That's when electronic artists were very popular, with big artists such as Garbage, The Prodigy, Crystal Method, Massive Attack, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Radiohead, Portishead, Moby, Fatboy Slim, etc. Those were very good times for electronic music, quite possibly the BEST.

At the same time, video games EVERYWHERE had electronic music in them. It was the next big thing. You had Wipeout, Extreme G, and other futuristic racers using electronic music. Many video games had an electronic based atmosphere (Jet Force Gemini, among others), and some even licensed songs from the biggest electronic artists of the time. 

I like to use this to point out the electronic atmosphere made some of these games even better. Electronic music and video games were both becoming enormous in the 90's, and throughout the decade, there wasn't a game without an electronic atmosphere, or at least that's what it looked like.

Your thoughts? Agree or disagree? 

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » September 10th, 2013, 11:56 am

My biggest memory from that era was more the rock soundtracks in Sega Rally and Gran Turismo that were really exhilarating. Apart from Wipeout I can't say anymore stick in my memory electronic music wise.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » September 10th, 2013, 3:09 pm

I've always associated video game music with electronic music in a general manner of speaking. As for Wipe Out, it has one of the best soundtracks, ever, and some surreal visuals as well. Even today, to my sense.

Return to “Classic Gaming”