What if Sony still manufactured the PlayStation 2?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » February 22nd, 2015, 4:49 pm

Also, this thread is to amuse the ideas of Microsoft still producing OG Xbox consoles, Nintendo making Game cubes, etc...

What are the hardware changes?

What would first party support be like?

How prominent would independent developer games be?

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » February 22nd, 2015, 6:21 pm

It's an interesting idea. Sort of like a company still making VHS VCRs or cassette/record players. I think some small/indie/homebrew developers would support the system. The price would have to be right...anyone remember Majesco's Sega Genesis Model 3?

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » February 22nd, 2015, 9:33 pm

I've also amused the idea of a FIFTH generation Game Boy Advanced, it'll be somewhat based on this design:

[50373384] 

Credit goes to Bureau Voor Gamers

This mixed with the Nintendo DS prototype would have made an effective "GBA XL".

PitfallHarry1

Postby PitfallHarry1 » February 24th, 2015, 8:11 pm

You know, I don't understand why Sony wouldn't jump at this chance. Market the system for under a hundred bucks, and reproduce the games and sell em' for 20 bucks a piece. Also, make the hardware more reliable, and have games save to a hard disk rather than a memory card. Also, have a build in upscaler please. This to me, would be a brilliant idea. It'd be a cheap way of introducing new people to the playstation 2. And I think it's a pretty good idea.

FinalLapTwinkie1

Postby FinalLapTwinkie1 » February 26th, 2015, 12:13 pm

At local pawnshops and small gaming stores in my area most Playstation 2 games have dropped to under $5.00 with sports titles going for a dollar. It may change but now seems the time to build a PS2 collection. Releasing a PS2 with PSP add-on support would be a selling sweet spot for me.

eraserhead1

Postby eraserhead1 » March 3rd, 2015, 1:06 pm

I always thought a very good 2D game could be made out of Okami. Branching paths like a very large and complex Megaman stage. (Or Metroid or Castlevania 3 or Muramasa the Demon Blade).

When I was a kid I actually did think the NES would be made forever, and they would just keep making games for it. I tried very hard to imagine what Super Mario Bros 8 would be like (the game was definitely already out in Japan.) Right now I am having fun picturing Bloodrayne and Body Harvest as 8-bit sidescrollers.

Towards the end of NES/Famicom, it got some fighting games. I don't think they would have happened in our timeline without the inspiration of Street Fighter 2's phenomenal success, but in our alt-history, eventually something like that would show up.

"Asynchronous" multiplayer games like Nintendoland could use something like the Bandai Mega. Speaking of controllers, they would come out with more buttons--functions would be mapped to select+A, A+B+up, etc, and Nintendo or third parties would make controllers with those pre-mapped to single buttons.

Another thing we saw towards EOL was larger ROM sizes. Perhaps that expansion could have continued, and the large amount of empty space in NES carts would seem prescient as boards got bigger to accommodate.

Obviously, NES hardware reliability would be fixed, considering it mostly was with the top-loader. Beyond that, I could picture updates that allow a bigger color palette and the like, but then I think we are getting into making a different console. Staying with the original design, there would be case updates like that "Analogue NT" thing and I guess HDMI connectors (yet keeping the low resolution).

There was an NES modem. Now Nintendos would be using broadband. Excitebike 2 has multiplayer.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » March 10th, 2015, 12:45 am

I would much rather see Microsoft produce an original Xbox slim. Xbox never had a slim version also the system is capable of 1080i which would look great on modern Tv's.

The only model available weighs like ten lbs.

Return to “Classic Gaming”