Random Atari 5200 opinions

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » September 28th, 2012, 10:56 pm

While the controller drives me crazy (because it sucks for the vast majority of the games available for the 5200) I have spent many hours this past summer playing this sweet system and wish to share some opinions.  The controller I used is noted:

1. JOUST (Played with Command Pro) What a stellar game!  I used to avoid the coin-op game because of it's difficulty and really liked the 2600 version.  But this edition just knocks it out of the park.  Graphically beautiful and when you get the hang of flapping your wings with a alternative joystick this game is pure joy. I didn't try (nor could I imagine) playing this with the stock controller.

2. BERZERK (Played with Command Pro)  Simply my favorite game on the 5200.  Fast-paced, challenging and with the voice synthesis just amazing.  If you get past 10,000 points you've had a good day.

3. SPACE DUNGEON (Played with two original controllers coupled together)  I have had a love/hate relationship with this game.  And now I finally and truly understand why.  I just ain't that good at this great game.  Lord knows how I've tried......Countless times I've played this baby and just can't dominate.  The floppy, non-centering joysticks really play well here.  I do wish the 5200 controllers were self-centering as that would help a bit (and with Robotron 2084) as well.  But my poor performance is entirely on myself......

4. GREMLINS (Played with Command Pro)  This is another sweet one!  I simply love going "Kill Bill" on the gremlins with the sword.  I was disappointed that the challenge seems to plateau after level 20-something....

5. FOOTBALL Played with the 5200 controller (and solo) I was disappointed about only having the practice mode for offense.  Having to punch in the CPU's defense on the second controller reminded me of the early days with Intellivision's football game and no friend around to play against.  It appears to be a decent game when played against another human....not sure why the Critic was so harsh.  I don't find it that slow compared to the Intellivision classic.

6. SOCCER Played with the 5200 controller (and solo) I was very impressed with how this game turned out to be pretty good.  I still do not fully understand soccer rules but enjoyed the graphics and the quality CPU opponent at each level (beginner, amateur, etc).  I did find the "boxed out" zones frustrating and the horrible audio annoying.......but overall this ain't a bad sports game and certainly better than a D- grade.

Honorable mentions go to Miner 2049er, Pitfall II Lost Caverns, Moon Patrol, Qix, Pac Man and Dig Dug - all played with a Command Pro joystick.

Sex, politics, religion and now the 5200 joystick - the four things that polite society should never debate!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 29th, 2012, 5:42 pm

Teddybear,
Why don't you clue us in on what the Command Pro is.
Dave

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » September 29th, 2012, 6:05 pm

My bad....I meant the Competition Pro.  I apologize.  Other than this and the the Wico - is there any other choice unless one splurges on a Masterplay interface?  And that reminds me of a question I've been wanting to ask - does the Masterplay work well?  Can you really plug it in and use a 2600-compatiable stick and play a game like Miner 2049er as intended?

Click image for larger version - Name: comppro[1].jpg, Views: 8, Size: 18.21 KB

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » September 29th, 2012, 7:50 pm

There are the AtariAge Redemption adapters. Here's a brief writeup I just pulled up on Google about them.

http://www.grandideastudio.com/portfolio/redemption-controller-adapter/

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » October 3rd, 2012, 6:51 am

Thanks for the info Leo.  I just bought a Masterplay interface yesterday.  Hopefully it will work as advertised.

Return to “Classic Gaming”