Slap Shot: Super Pro Hockey for Intellivision

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » December 26th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Is this game compatiable with the Intellivision II?  Fuzzy memory here but I recall buying this from the INTV catalog back in the late 1980's and had to return it since it wouldn't play on the II.  Before I sent it back I took it to a friend's house and it fired right up on his butt-ugly brown original Intellivision.

I bought it again a few years back and have just finally gotten around to wanting to play it.  I know it's lame but nonetheless...................

I have an original packed away just for those mostly horrid Coleco ports but can anyone confirm this?

Is it Intellivision II compatiable?

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » December 27th, 2012, 1:55 pm

Plug it in and see. It won't be damaged and the worst that will happen is that it just won't play.

The only issues I've ever seen mentioned are the following.

-Coleco's Donkey Kong, Mouse Trap, and Carnival are locked out.
-Mattel's own Electric Company World Fun release was inadvertently locked out as well.
-The changes to the EXEC to lock out the early Coleco releases introduced a timing error that screws up sound effects in Space Spartans and Shark! Shark!.
-And it causes a timing problem in INTV's release of Super Pro Football where the quarterback doesn't appear on screen at times.

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » December 28th, 2012, 7:37 am

I did plug the cart in only to get that green screen...

I think you can add Slap Shot to the list of non-working games on the II (due to the EXEC command or ROM something.....heck I don't understand the technical jargon!)

According to another site's chat forum there were a large batch of these cartridges released by INTV Corp. that will not play on the Intellivision II.

I know I am in the minority but have always preferred the II controller (and console look) over the original.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » January 9th, 2013, 5:37 pm

Ah, I can answer this.  There are two different variants of the cart/ROM: one works on the Intellivision II, and one doesn't.  Unfortunately I don't think there's any way to tell them apart visually.

I experienced this firsthand when I only owned an Intellivision II.  I bought a copy of Slap Shot, couldn't get it to work, and assumed it was dead.  Then when I added a Tandyvision to my collection, it fired right up.

It's truly bizarre since the Intellivision II had been out for a long time before INTV started releasing games, but I guess they simply messed up.  Super Pro Football also has compatibility issues on an Intellivision II, and there are a couple other first-party releases that have problems as well (Math Fun or Word Fun is one, can't remember which).

Return to “Classic Gaming”