Atari5200 Trackball

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Teddybear1

Atari5200 Trackball

Postby Teddybear1 » April 4th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Got one from Ebay recently.......a must have for 5200 dudes!

A few questions/observations though:

1.  I am pretty confident that this was the original McCoy (not refurbished or worked on)...how come ALL the buttons (Start, Pause, Reset, and Fire) work exactly like they are supposed to?  I was concerned about this "carbon build-up" that affects the original controller.  Not with the trackball!!  They all work perfectly!

2.  The Critic was 100% correct about using the trackball for Galaxian.  It's actually playable and more importantly.....enjoyable using a 5200 trackball.  Precision control all the way.  Centipede is a total blast as well.  I also just got the Tempest homebrew and have to say that the trackball is the best control for it. 

3.  Lastly, my ball squeaks badly.......This unit has screws on the bottom.  Just because I own tools doesn't mean I know how to use them.  Any suggestions on how to fix the issue?  What lube or other product to use on it?

Astrosmasher1

Atari5200 Trackball

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 4th, 2013, 9:12 pm

I am so jealous... I never had a 5200 but to get a track ball....

good luck with the squeeking

Teddybear1

Atari5200 Trackball

Postby Teddybear1 » April 5th, 2013, 9:34 pm

At Astrosmaher - get a 5200 with a track ball & get Centipede, Missle Command and Tempest (from Atari Age).....Every negative thing you have ever heard about this system and it's controllers are forgotten with a track ball!

Any suggestions about reducing the squeak?

Seriously.....I wasn't looking for a date!

The Tempest game from AA is fantastic with a track ball.  Tempest was the game I spent more quarters on with so little success back in the day.  While it ain't the spinner controller from the arcade - using the track ball is pretty damn close to simulating the Tempest experience.

Astrosmasher1

Atari5200 Trackball

Postby Astrosmasher1 » April 6th, 2013, 11:00 am

Well teddy bear I would suggest you got to the atari age forums and look that one up.  then post there as there are more retro gamers who post stuff up...

then you can find out how to get less squeek in your ball...

Teddybear1

Atari5200 Trackball

Postby Teddybear1 » April 27th, 2013, 5:51 pm

I do apologize....squeaky ball, lube.....it was just too easy!

After playing this unit a lot....the squeak is not nearly as noticeable.  It is easily tolerable.

I did buy another 5200 track ball off of E-Bay  (a future topic......IT WASN'T "JUST LIKE NEW"!!!!!!). 

I am still amazed how responsive the keypad is (it doesn't suffer from that carbon build-up thing).  I love being able to hit "Pause" during Centipede and it actually freezes while I grab another beer.  The 5200 Trackball is a winner!!!!!

Atari Age is a great source of info as well.  Someday these things will need to be opened up for maintenance.  AA has good information for these 30+ year old systems....

And speaking of Atari Age......If you have a nice working 5200 Trackball you need to get Tempest!!!!  Games with vector graphics do not usually convert well to home systems but Tempest rocks.  The trackball is an excellent substitute for the spinner control.  Pinpoint control and you can even do the desperate "crazy spin" while shooting.   Just an awesome gaming experience!!! 

Return to “Classic Gaming”