Atari 7800 Touchdown Football

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » June 22nd, 2013, 9:04 pm

I bought an Atari 7800 this past winter.

I'll start this by saying - I am really losing my patience with the Atari 7800 and think it is a piece of dung.  So few games have stood out as being outstanding (Joust and Donkey Kong Jr. are the BEST ports.)  But I'll address my disappointment later as I still have several games to really sit down and play.  But my bias is starting to get the best of me.

That said, I really think the Critic needs to re-review Touchdown Football for the 7800.  On a system the just simply has horrid sports games this one is pretty nice for 1988.

Not counting the NES or Atari & Commodore computers - name a better football game that came out in or before 1988?

The contenders:

Super Football for the 2600 was an ambitous title but the crude scrolling made it really tough to pass to your receiver.  Real Sports Football for the 2600 and 5200 weren't bad either but speaking as a solo player the CPU left much to be desired.

I would certainly understand the argument for Intellivision's Super Pro Football.  Great offensive....very little in the way of defense though.  With the statisics feature it is sweet to see the 80 pass attempts for 724 yards,  The running game however.....

Touchdown Football is just the opposite.  Because of its limitations offensive is challenging.  The VGC certainly is correct regarding the kicking game.  Pure luck and most times it is "NO GOOD".  But as I have been playing this game several times lately I really enjoy it for what it is - a decent rendition of a complicated sport that took several years (and systems) to really get right (thinking of Tecmo Super Bowl on the NES and of course Madden on the Sega)

It ain't great but it certainly isn't an "F".........

atariforever1

Postby atariforever1 » June 22nd, 2013, 10:56 pm

Doubt I'll ever get around to playing Touchdown Football since Tecmo satisfies all my 8/16-bit football needs. 

But as for the 7800, it has a small, but growing, library of solid titles. Food Fight Fight and Ballblazer are good. Asteroids and Centipede are excellent, maybe the best versions ever with 2-player simultaneous play. Other than that, most of the early 80's arcade ports like the ones you mentioned and a few others are pretty good. 

Where it's really at is with the homebrews though. Check out PacManPlus's work over at AtariAge. He's created Super Circus Atari, Scramble, fantastic versions of the Pac-Man games and lots of others. If you can't afford the individual homebrews, hold onto your 7800 until a new flash cartridge is released for it (the H2). These new titles really make the 7800 a contender.

PacManPlus is the greatest 7800 homebrewer, but there are several others that have made impressive versions of Q*bert, Burgertime and Frogger. Keep an eye out for those, too. And get yourself a europad if you haven't already.

Return to “Classic Gaming”