Is there any device to create save states on cart games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Burk1

Postby Burk1 » July 7th, 2014, 3:20 pm

I want to play on original hardware,but want to be able to save. Is there any type of hard drive type unit that can do this? I realize the retron 5 does this,but all I want to do is save.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » July 7th, 2014, 4:26 pm

One of the Everdrive models does (I have the one that doesn't), I believe there is one for both the Genesis and SNES.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » July 7th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Yikes! I just checked.Those everdrives are expensive.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » July 7th, 2014, 11:14 pm

There was a device for the SNES that could do this, back in the 1990s. I can't remember what it was called, but it worked reasonably well -- you hit a certain button combination on your controller, and it would save/load a savestate. IIRC I used it on Super Turrican.

And yeah, as Sut mentioned, the Mega EverDrive can do savestates, and I believe the EverDrive-N8 can as well (for Genesis and Famicom/NES, respectively). I don't think the Super EverDrive or SD2SNES can, but there's a competing flashcart called the UFO Super Drive that supposedly supports savestates on SNES. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 8th, 2014, 5:40 am

The little videogame shop in my hometown has something that does this for SNES (he's taken to selling a lot of clone/add on stuff in the shop).  I can picture it, but forget what it was called.  Me and my wife are heading out there on Saturday, so if no one tells you before then, I'll take a look.  IIRC they were only something like $20-$30.

Here's the guy's twitter feed for the shop.  It might be listed on there somewhere.  

https://twitter.com/PVGamesNL

Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 8th, 2014, 6:59 am

I would say that the Mega Everdrive in particular is pretty good value as you can play Master System games on it as well, plus 32x if you have the add on.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 8th, 2014, 1:14 pm

Found it online.  This is the one:

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/nakitek-game-saver.html

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » July 8th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Thank you very much Atarifever! This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I had never heard of them. $15 on eBay...done! I'd like to know if anyone knows of somesomething similar for genny and NES.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » July 8th, 2014, 5:39 pm

Please write up a review once you get this. I would be really interested to hear what you have to say about this. The cost is super cheap so I'm kind of wondering what the quality is like.

goldenband1

Postby goldenband1 » July 9th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Yep, Nakitek Game Saver, that's the one! It worked quite well for me with Super Turrican, though it may have failed once or twice. If you keep your expectations low, it'll do the trick nicely.

A comment on this page says a Genesis version of the Game Saver was planned and advertised, but never released. It also says there's a savestate device for the NES called a Game Action Replay.

Return to “Classic Gaming”