Atari 2600: Centipede or Millipede, which is the best?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Ikaris1

Postby Ikaris1 » October 3rd, 2012, 9:22 am

In a topic about the best titles for VCS I put Centipede and not Millipede, because at that time I hadn't played Millipede yet. Then I tried it... and I was astonished: so many objects moving across the screen, so no-stop action... Millipede is a jewel.
And I found that the VCS ports of Centipede and Millipede reflect the same differences of their coin-op counterparts: Centipede is a more thoughtful game, if you are a good player you can "dig" corridors through the mushrooms or, at least, take advantage of these corridors when you find them, and this is a very fun part of the game; Millipede gives you no breath, it offers frantic action and unless you are a huge master of the game,your principal purpose is surviving rather than adopting particular tactics.
Both are great conversions and wonderful games, and I couldn't say which is the best... somehow I prefer the design of the spider in Centipede, and I slightly prefer the difficulty level of Millipede (a bit tougher), but it surely isn't enough for deciding the winner!
What do you think?

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 3rd, 2012, 11:45 am

In the arcade I prefer Centipede, however, on the 2600 I give the advantage to Millipede.  I like Centipede quite a bit, but it's a little too easy.  Millipede's difficulty is just right.

Gecko1011

Postby Gecko1011 » October 3rd, 2012, 5:31 pm

I'm going to have to go with centipede. The death sound in millipede is just too much for my ears.

Teddybear1

Postby Teddybear1 » October 3rd, 2012, 11:06 pm

Both are fantastic versions but too much chaos (for my taste) happens in Millipede.  Put my vote down for Centipede with the 2600 trackball - simple, challenging and always a blast to play.

Return to “Classic Gaming”