Creator of the First Console Dead at 92

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » December 15th, 2014, 10:01 pm

[QUOTE=scotland17]

Interesting.  On one hand, 2600 games like Outlaw are one person shooting the other person with a gun.  There was an earlier arcade light gun shooter to from Atari's arcade division before the 2600 games of the same name. 

[/QUOTE]

It's been a long time since I played Outlaw on the 2600, but when I viewed it on youtube, when a player gets shot he immediately springs back up again. When Nolan said he was against blowing up people, I took it to mean killing people. I know he was against the arcade game Death Race, because you ran over people (game maker Exidy said they were gremlins), and then a cross would appear. But again, I don't know this for sure.

And Vexer, I could only read what Bushnell was quoted as saying by the original poster (couldn't find the entire article), but Bushnell, as far as I can tell, did not state that "all modern games are "trash", but he did say "Video games today are a race to the bottom."

Yeah, he should have been more specific, but he did not single out any particular game maker or genre.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » December 16th, 2014, 1:55 am

Well saying their a "race to the bottom" is kind of the same thing isn't it?  It's certainly not much better and it still makes Bushnell sound very narrow-minded.

Return to “Classic Gaming”