How do you have your Dreamcast hooked up?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 8th, 2014, 9:50 am

I've been wanting to hook my Dreamcast up to my flat screen TV, but I know the picture quality is going to suffer.  

I was wondering what the best way or best device was to hook the DC up to a HD TV.  Or do you guys just keep around an old CRT TV and play it on that?

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 8th, 2014, 10:17 am

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]I've been wanting to hook my Dreamcast up to my flat screen TV, but I know the picture quality is going to suffer.  

I was wondering what the best way or best device was to hook the DC up to a HD TV.  Or do you guys just keep around an old CRT TV and play it on that?[/QUOTE]

VGA to LCD is nice, but I prefer Scart RGB. Playing these older consoles on a CRT just feels right to me.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » October 8th, 2014, 10:45 am

Without a doubt the best way to hook up a dreamcast is with a vga adapter box. Sega made an official version but the third party work just as well. Just make sure your tv had a vga input. It will look almost as good as hdmi.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » October 8th, 2014, 10:50 am

Yeah, I've been googling it a bit and the consensus seems to be VGA adapters.  My question with this...you need to hook up a cable for sound after you plug the VGA cable into the TV right?  Otherwise you're getting the picture but no sound.

I've also read that some games arent' compatible with the VGA box.  Is it alot of games that won't work?  Just curious.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » October 8th, 2014, 11:50 am

I plug it in through RGB to my Sony PVM. A thing of beauty.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » October 8th, 2014, 1:37 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]Yeah, I've been googling it a bit and the consensus seems to be VGA adapters.  My question with this...you need to hook up a cable for sound after you plug the VGA cable into the TV right?  Otherwise you're getting the picture but no sound.

I've also read that some games arent' compatible with the VGA box.  Is it alot of games that won't work?  Just curious.[/QUOTE]

The vga box had sound outputs. Run normal rca wires from the box to the TV for sound. Most games are compatible with the vga box. The box had an s video output wire for those games that aren't. Doesn't look as good in svideo but still not bad.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » October 8th, 2014, 3:44 pm

I second (or is it third, forth, or fifth?) the recommendation to get a VGA box if your TV has a VGA port.  I've got a little translucent-blue 3rd party one made by Naki, it's worked great for years.  It also has the S-video output, which is nice, too.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 8th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Mine is normally hooked up to my HDTV via the VGA box.  However, I keep a composite cable handy that's hooked to a normal CRT TV.  This is for the games that don't support the VGA, and also for light gun games.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 8th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Two Words: Sony Trinitron

Return to “Classic Gaming”