Jesus... Anyone notice the increase in game prices lately?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rev

Re: Jesus... Anyone notice the increase in game prices lately?

Postby Rev » March 11th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Yeah eBay is very good about getting your money back. I've run across several sellers like that and eBay gave them the middle finger and forced a refund. I feel pretty confident about their options. They do protect sellers as well so it isn't completely one sided.

Tron

Postby Tron » March 11th, 2016, 6:38 pm

In your case esauce the seller stated it powered on & "as is". Usually I see things simply listed "as is" without any other statements. With stuff like that I assume it must be broken.

As far as ebay protecting sellers make sure you save your shipping numbers from the post office. I've had many claims where buyers stated they never got the item and got my accounts frozen up. After I submitted my tracking numbers the buyers dropped their claims and I got my account unfrozen. I think there are many fraudulent claims by buyers.

SigSauerLover

Postby SigSauerLover » March 11th, 2016, 11:14 pm

Commodore 64 stuff has really gone up. It must be a very popular classic computer to buy. Especially compared to the Vic-20!

scotland

Postby scotland » March 14th, 2016, 10:11 am

SigSauerLover wrote:Commodore 64 stuff has really gone up. It must be a very popular classic computer to buy. Especially compared to the Vic-20!

Seriously, the C64 stuff has gotten pricey. Its gotten to the point where buying the box costs what the computer did a few years ago. Even the C64 plug and play with a dozen or so Epyx games got crazy expensive, since one version is supposedly mod'able. Given that Epyx plug and play model already exists, a C64 Flashback would be really nice.

The VIC 20 is not in the same league for capability or popularity. Even though the supply is far smaller (how many C64s were actually sold is an open question - but low figures are about 10 times the number of VIC 20s), the demand is far smaller still.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » March 15th, 2016, 12:46 pm

I think there are three major things contributing to the higher prices...which have all mostly been touched upon.

Ebay changing policy - The fact that they don't charge a fee for a listing any longer means there is zero incentive to move product at lower prices. With videogames a few big re-sellers can buy up all the supply of harder to find games and then jack up the price. Once a few people start buying it at that price ebay then auto-matically recommends that anyone selling the game list it at the most recent price. The days of 99c auctions and buying 100 NES games for $50 on ebay are long over. I still use ebay, but I almost never use buy it now. I always search for an auction and if you're patient you can still get stuff for a decent price.

Smart Phones - Almost everyone has access to the internet via their phone. So people at yard sales and flea markets can quickly hop online and check the price of a game. The problem with this is that if you're buying something from a yard sale...it's not ebay or Gamestop. There is no return policy or protection against a scam. Also when people look up something via Ebay they're just looking at current listings and not recent sold items. I had a guy on craigslist quote me $75 for a CIB copy of FirePower2000 for the SNES. I checked ebay and there were a few listed at that price. However, upon checking sold listing CIB copies of the game were going for $30-$50 depending on condition. No way am I dropping top dollar auction prices to some schlep on craigslist.

Retro gaming is more popular - More than ever people are into retro games. So there are more people to contend with. However, I think part of the problem is that people new to the hobby have no clue what the value of things are. They overpay for stuff that shouldn't be fetching higher prices. I saw a dude pay $30 for Castlevania 1 on the NES at a retro shop. It's Castlevania...it's a common cart. Take some time and work flea markets, garage sales etc and you can get a copy for HALF that. If you really want the game go for it, but you're gonna spend a stupid amount of money on your collection.

Right now it seems like NES, SNES, Genesis, Saturn, N64 and Dreamcast are at an all time high for prices. I don't typically buy stuff for those systems unless they're a steal. So I just focus on systems that aren't as in demand. You can get tons of great 2600 games for cheap prices. The original Xbox and PS2 also have tons of awesome games for dirt cheap. Right now is the absolute best time to collect for the Wii, PS3 and 360. So I'm actually starting to focus on those three systems. All of this stuff is cyclical. The markets will continue to shift and fluctuate as time goes by. It's best to strike where other people are not to get the best deals.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » March 17th, 2016, 1:20 am

I totally agree with JLH. If you want to get into collecting now is the time to buy Original Xbox, Wii, 360, and PS3. Great games for great value that will in a few years Sky rocket in price when these kids get older and some disposable income.

Return to “Classic Gaming”