Donkey Kong Pie Factory on NES

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Ferf131

Postby Ferf131 » April 20th, 2012, 9:16 pm

I have recently discovered a website that sells modified and home-brew NES games.  It is Retrozone.  I have always wanted a copy of Donkey Kong with the pie factory level.  This website happens to sell such a thing for the NES.  I just received the game the other day.  It plays the same as the NES Donkey Kong except it now has all four screens now.  The other added feature I noticed was that Donkey Kong will grab the lady and proceed up the ladder after a level is completed, except for the rivet screen of course. 

There is also an Ultimate Frogger for the NES, which looks good.  I guess what makes it ultimate was there is a two player option called battlefrogs, where both players are competing to get across the river at the same time.  Sounds like fun, but who knows?  They also have some SNES games too.  If anything check it out yourself. 

I also know there is another website called Good Deal Games and they home-brews and modified games for multiple systems.  They have Atari 5200 Donkey Kong with the pie factory also.  The web site said it is a conversion from the Atari XE.  I just thought I would like the NES version better for graphics and control reasons.  

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » April 20th, 2012, 10:37 pm

I've known about this site for quite a while now but have yet to order anything from it.  I've come very close a few times, but then another forum member a while back started a thread to discuss how he got the run around from the guy who runs the site when he tried to order the very game you are talking about here. 

I have to admit, though, that I would love to have this game.  Maybe it would be worth taking the chance...

Ferf131

Postby Ferf131 » April 21st, 2012, 1:00 am

I didn't seem to have any problems, maybe things have changed for the better.

Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » April 21st, 2012, 8:26 am

Yeah, I was *this* close to buying Vs. SMB from RetroZone. And then I saw the post that snakeboy saw.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » April 21st, 2012, 1:59 pm

I haven't saw anyone that actually has been ripped off by him.

Just don't go into it expecting a delivery in anything even vaguely resembling a timely manner nor expect to recieve any replies if you inquire about something after placing a order. After he has your money, he doesn't care and won't respond as a rule.

But with all that said, everyone seems to get some sort of satisfaction out of him eventually (Including myself). I don't think you have to worry about him taking your money and never sending anything.

It could just be a few months before he does...

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 22nd, 2012, 5:11 pm

[QUOTE=starblazers]

I am the one that posted something before. I am at fault! I didn't post that I received the game back 5 months after I sent Donkey Kong back. The game doesn't work to well on the Yobo clone system. If you have an original NES, I would buy one. Just don't send it back if you are having any problems! Don't expect any quick e-mail replies back also if you have any questions.

[/QUOTE]

If this guy operates with such terrible business strategies, you're certainly not the one at fault. Waiting 5 months after paying to get your game while having all your emails ignored is ridiculous, and anyone would interpret this as the guy just running off with your money.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » August 13th, 2012, 7:38 pm

Well, I gave in and ordered this from Retrozone (along with Vs. Duck Hunt) and am happy to say I received the game with no problems.

A few observations:

-It's nice having a copy of NES Donkey Kong that includes the conveyor belt level.  I would have to say that it's my least favorite of the four levels, but it's still fun and adds more variety to the game.

-Maybe it's because the conveyor belt level is fairly new to me, but I find it to be the most difficult screen in the game.  It can be fairly easy if you simply just climb to the top of the screen, but if you want to score points by using the hammer and collecting items, it can be fairly tough.  A little luck is involved getting up the last ladder since a "pie" can pop out at any time.

-I've noticed that the conveyor belt screen has quite a bit of flicker.  In fact I was killed by a pie once simply because it was flickering badly and I couldn't see it.  Overall, it isn't major, but I wonder if this could be one of the reasons Nintendo left this screen out of the original NES version.

-The game is still missing some minor stuff from the arcade:  The "How high can you get?" intro screen, Pauline yelling "Help!", the "game over" music.

Overall, I'm very happy that I went ahead and got this game (and Vs. Duck Hunt, which I'll post some impressions of later).

Return to “Classic Gaming”