SNES game bundle quandary

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 15th, 2013, 7:26 am

Posting this as I'd like some gamers opinions.

I recently made a decision to trim my console collection down to systems that I actively owned once upon a time, stick with those and build a games collection around those systems. So I had a sale of the systems I didn't have a affinity with and had picked up over the years, so I sold off my xbox, gamecube, channel F and 2600.
Kept my Megadrive/Mega CD/32x combo, Saturn, Spectrum, Atari ST, PS2, PS3 and Game Boy.

Now here's the quandary I have picked up a job lot of SNES games for £50 and there are some crackers in there Secret of Mana, Zelda, Pocky & Rocky 2, Castlevania 4 plus more - about 25 in total.
Now my reasonable self is saying stick to the plan, sell them off so I can fund purchases I want for the systems I decided to keep, however my gamer is saying keep them and buy a SNES.

I have this conflict a lot, I can't possibly play every game on every system, but I can play a lot of games on fewer systems.

What's your take ?

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 15th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Personally, I think the SNES is one of the best consoles of all time, so if you got a bundle that includes a chunk of the best games for the system, I would buy a SNES. While the games can be a little on the expensive side for the console, you still have some gems in that bundle.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 15th, 2013, 10:07 pm

I would say just buy an SNES and play the games you bought.  If you don't want to collect for the system, you could just end up selling everything and at the very worst, get back most, if not all, of the money you spent on it.

Segatarious1

Postby Segatarious1 » October 15th, 2013, 10:26 pm

It would not be that expense to get an SNES. Say you get sick of it, just sell it all again. In the meantime, perhaps you had some fun. No matter what system you buy and play, you are trading dollars for fun, and when you run out of FUN I guess YOU are the type that tries to get at least SOME of your dollars back, so its really not much of a quandary, I think

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 16th, 2013, 4:11 am

No your off base Sega, I wouldn't have copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force 3 and some ancient ZX Spectrum games if that was the case.
I only have a limited time to play video games, approx an hour and a half a day and I don't want to spread myself too thinly.

What's best a lot of systems with a few games for each or fewer systems with a bigger more diverse library ?
That's the point I'm trying to make.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » October 16th, 2013, 4:50 am

You may not have much time right now, but maybe that will change? In any case, this truly is one of the best systems ever made. You could get one, try it out a little bit, and shelve it up until you have more time.

MythicRobDog1

Postby MythicRobDog1 » October 16th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Buy a SNES. That is one of the absolute best consoles of all time with some of the most timeless games ever. I think over time your affinity for the system will change and you will be thanking yourself that you didn't rid yourself of the your collection.

wyldephang1

Postby wyldephang1 » October 18th, 2013, 9:05 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]I only have a limited time to play video games, approx an hour and a half a day and I don't want to spread myself too thinly. What's best a lot of systems with a few games for each or fewer systems with a bigger more diverse library ? That's the point I'm trying to make.[/QUOTE]

Even if you were going to own only a few systems, I think the SNES should be an essential part of your collection.  It has an extremely rich library of video games, stacked with immortal classics like Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, Super Metroid, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.  You'll have to factor in that some of the best SNES games were not released in PAL territories.  A short list would include Final Fantasy II and III, EarthBound, Super Mario RPG, and Chrono Trigger, but there are others.  So, I'd recommend that you check out the PAL titles and make a determination based on that.

Either way, I think it's better to get a well-rounded sampling of the best games available.  This formed the impetus for my decision to buy a Sega Genesis last year, and I never regretted it.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 19th, 2013, 5:08 am

Well thanks for your replies, pretty unanimous opinion I would be missing out if I gave these games up. Now to try and pick up a SNES in the wild. This has also convinced me to reobtain a 2600 and a GameCube !

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » October 19th, 2013, 12:49 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]Well thanks for your replies, pretty unanimous opinion I would be missing out if I gave these games up. Now to try and pick up a SNES in the wild. This has also convinced me to reobtain a 2600 and a GameCube ![/QUOTE]

If you get a first gen Wii then you can get two consoles for one. The only thing that you couldn't do would be the Game Boy player. They are both pretty cheap right now. Still, I like the design of the original Gamecube more.

Return to “Classic Gaming”