I never realised how great the Final Fantasy series is !

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 7th, 2014, 4:46 pm

I'm an unashamed Sega fanboy so this series completely passed me by until I downloaded the first game to my iPhone. I really enjoyed this despite not being a fan of RPG's, after enjoying this I have since also downloaded Final Fantasy 2,3,4 & 5 for ios (I also believe 6 is out now as well).

What I also like about the series is how the gameplay mechanics change from game to game, but not enough to make them different games but enough for them to vary from their predecessors.
I've played 1,2,3 and currently playing 4.
Number 4 undoubtably is my favourite upto yet, very good story, I almost don't want it to end.

My running order thus far is:
Final Fantasy 4 - Great story and interesting characters: A
Final Fantasy 2 - More fleshed out than 1 and great additional bonus story: B
Final Fantasy 3 - Liked the move to 3D but the story isn't as compelling as 4: B
Final Fantasy 1 - Great to see the start of the series and still enjoyable: B

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 7th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Hi, Sut! Glad to see a new convert to the series [wink].

Having already played a bit of I-VI in other forms, but only having finished IV (SFC version, fan-translated), I recently downloaded the Final Fantasy iOS bundle, which includes I-VI and The After Years.

These ports are superb! I started with V, which I had played none of before. It is quickly becoming one of my favorites. You have a lot to look forward to in this one, Sut. The combat is just as fast and furious as in IV, with the added depth of an insanely customizable job system. As with IV, you'll have three huge worlds to explore, an excellent soundtrack to listen to, and an unfolding drama to keep you compelled forward.

I'm glad to hear that the 3D version of IV is so good! I can't wait to give it a go once V is over.

After you finish I-VI, I highly recommend checking out VII and X (HD version preferred), my two nominees for the best in the series.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 7th, 2014, 6:04 pm

Oh yes I've really got into this series. However being the way I am, I will have to play through them chronologically

DaHeckIzDat1

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » October 28th, 2014, 9:14 am

3 was the move to 3D? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I thought 7 on the ps1 was the first 3D Final Fantasy.

ptdebate1

Postby ptdebate1 » October 28th, 2014, 10:48 am

[QUOTE=DaHeckIzDat]3 was the move to 3D? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I thought 7 on the ps1 was the first 3D Final Fantasy. [/QUOTE]

The portable and mobile remakes of 3 and 4 are 3D. The rest of the series up to 7 remains in 2D.

Tron1

Postby Tron1 » October 28th, 2014, 11:16 am

I wished I had played this back in the day. I know I would have liked it. Now I get bored roaming around and not knowing what is going on. Maybe someday I'll print a walk through and enjoy them.

rift1

Postby rift1 » December 1st, 2014, 6:45 pm

I prefer the Game Boy Advance FF remakes because they're all still sprite-based instead of the bad polygon + 3D stuff that looks really bad. 

Sut

Re: I never realised how great the Final Fantasy series is !

Postby Sut » December 6th, 2015, 11:04 am

Just recently finished up Final Fantasy IV (yes it really has taken me this long!). Very enjoyable game, interesting story and I really like how the game keeps mixing your party up.
My only criticism, which might be my own RPG lack of prowess is the bosses. I managed to play through the game fairly well but I always seemed to hit a brick wall with the bosses the difficulty spike seemed high.

Brilliant game and probably my third favourite RPG behind Panzer Dragoon Saga and Vay.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » December 6th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Sut wrote:Just recently finished up Final Fantasy IV (yes it really has taken me this long!). Very enjoyable game, interesting story and I really like how the game keeps mixing your party up.
My only criticism, which might be my own RPG lack of prowess is the bosses. I managed to play through the game fairly well but I always seemed to hit a brick wall with the bosses the difficulty spike seemed high.

Brilliant game and probably my third favourite RPG behind Panzer Dragoon Saga and Vay.

The 3D remake of Final Fantasy IV is very hard. The bosses are elaborate elemental puzzles that require perfect timing and memorization. It's not you, it's just that hard. Congrats on beating it! It's one of my favorites as well. Will you be taking on V next?

Sut

Postby Sut » December 6th, 2015, 1:58 pm

ptdebate wrote:It's not you, it's just that hard. Congrats on beating it! It's one of my favorites as well. Will you be taking on V next?

Thanks that makes me feel better :P

I was going to go through FFIV:The After Years before I got to FFV.

Have you played The After Years ? Is it worth playing or should I go straight to FFV ?

Return to “Classic Gaming”