What do your the kids in your life think of these games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Herschie1

Postby Herschie1 » October 12th, 2014, 2:25 am

I couldn't believe it; my 8 year old nephew was over, and I figured that he'd make a beeline to the PS4 or Wii U. Nope, he's playing Jungle Hunt on the 2600. Then he was having a blast with the NES playing Jackal, and then Super Mario Bros. It was so heartwarming watching him trying to figure out the levels just like I did when I was his age. We were traveling an hour and a half up to a pumpkin farm before that, and was he playing Smash Bros on the 3DS? No, he was playing the original Zelda that I have on pretty much every Nintendo system that I own. 

It's strange thinking that kids with their iPods, and their gadgets these days would be interested in the games we played way back when, but surprisingly this kid actually liked them. He didn't even want to play the new Mariokart. Have you guys seen similar things? 

Den1

Postby Den1 » October 15th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Unfortuately, none of my nieces or nephews have shown any interest in playing any of my older systems.  They just want to play the latest games I have.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » October 15th, 2014, 3:35 pm

My kids can't get their heads round traditional controllers, it's all touch screens and motion controls.
I tried to get my eldest to have a game of Pong with me, she lasted about 40 seconds before 'this is rubbish' and went back to her room.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » October 16th, 2014, 12:09 am

It's really not surprising at all that most kids wouldn't be into stuff like Pong as it was WAY before their time.

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » October 17th, 2014, 4:21 pm

This is a topic right down my alley. I have two boys, the older just turned 14, the younger is 6. My older son loves the classic video game. He's a huge fan of Galaga, and he really enjoys playing the INTV, the SNES, and the 64. He's been playing Mario 64 a lot, and through youtube has found a ton of glitches (like finishing the game with 16 stars).

Last week my wife, my two sons and I were in the car, and he was asking me about the 2600, the 5200, and the 7800. Since I love reading about the classic consoles, we had a good 30 minute talk on the way home. And he can't figure out why people are so fixed upon the X-Box One and other new consoles when there are so many great classics out there.

That's a mah boy!

Herschie

Re: What do your the kids in your life think of these games?

Postby Herschie » June 29th, 2018, 2:53 am

My nieces and nephew were over today, and boy did they like the sight of my VGR (Video game room), although they didn't seem to like all my Cubs posters and pennants. Nor were they amused my beloved Old Style plaque of the 1989 Cubs. Hey, they live on the South Side of Chicago, I live on the North Side. One can forgive them. They did seem to like the 1983 White Sox pennant that I gave them that I found last time I visted my mother.

Anyway, my nephew for some reason was dying to get his hands on NBA 2K6 for the original XBox, so he got to play that on one TV while my two nieces were having fun playing New Super Mario Bros. U and Mario Kart 8 on my Wii U on the other TV. And once we started with Call of Duty WW2 on my PS4, it was about as difficult to peel my nephew away from the game as I am when I'm playing it.

Now suddenly my house is where they want to be. And to think that they've barely scratched the surface as to what I've got. My niece even found an interest in Galaga on the NES, which I never really go into, but might start playing it more. Baffling how a 9-year-old enjoys a game from 1981 that I, at the age of 36, completely missed the boat on.

Earlier today they were watching YouTube while they ate their pizza, and they were horrified when I told them that when I was their age, I had to watch soap operas because that's what my mom wanted to watch, and we didn't have YouTube. I explained that I would try to get lunch pushed back to 1:20 so that I could persuade her to change to the Cubs. Kids these days just don't know how rough we had it!

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » June 29th, 2018, 7:28 am

My 17 year old is TOTALLY into classic gaming. INTV, SNES, and N64, and has multiple Banjo Kazooie t-shirts. Makes his old man proud.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » July 10th, 2018, 6:56 pm

I try to carve out a little bit of time, every week, to game with my four year old daughter. I don’t let her play anything beyond NES, at the moment, because the controls are a bit overwhelming.

Actually, I do have a funny/cute story. So, I managed to get my mitts on an NES Classic, which excited me because I thought this would be a perfect entry point for her. I sat her on my lap, gave her the controller, and picked Super Mario Brothers. She’s about a year-and-a-half younger than I was when I first played it, at a Sears kiosk, and she did almost the exact same thing that I did: she kept running into the goomba until she figured out that she could squash it, and she was so excited when she discovered that. For over twenty years, I think that I’ve taken that sense of discovery for granted. In a way, I envy her because she gets to experience gaming in a way that I haven’t for over thirty years! I love that I’m the one who she gets to experience it with!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 10th, 2018, 8:00 pm

Herschie wrote: My niece even found an interest in Galaga on the NES, which I never really go into,

It isn't really playing Galaga unless on a cocktail cab with a beer resting on top.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 11th, 2018, 4:36 am

Gentlegamer wrote:It isn't really playing Galaga unless on a cocktail cab with a beer resting on top.

I suppose the fruit punch we gave the kids wouldn't quite cut it?

Return to “Classic Gaming”