Blowing on your NES cartridges - silly or sound?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Dogtanian1

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 15th, 2014, 4:29 am

100% agree.

kew9820001

Postby kew9820001 » July 15th, 2014, 8:04 am

This is what I do to keep my NES games clean and working the first time I try to play them. First of all, I disabled the lockout chip on my NES. This is one of the major reasons why NES games have a hard time loading. The contacts have to be clean and set just right otherwise you get a flashing red light. There are several tutorials online on how to do this. It's very easy. Every NES game I acquire, I take apart and clean using a rubber eraser on the contacts and then alcohol. I very rarely have any trouble getting games to play on the first try with my toaster NES.

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » July 15th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Here is my theory. Blowing does nothing,but inserting a cart several times does rub it on the pins,in effect cleaning them to a degree.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » July 16th, 2014, 7:37 am

General consensus on one the main French gaming communities I frequent ('Gamopat'), blowing works short term, but may damage your carts long term. Still, it's probably gonna be hard to come across a cartridrge you know is malfunctioning due to blowing with an high degree of certainty. Scientific approach, pick a working cart, blow in there all day, and see what happens!!

Return to “Classic Gaming”