I think the critic would agree with this!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » November 21st, 2014, 11:01 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]Am I the only person on the planet that thinks Achievements/Trophies are the STUPIDEST things to happen to gaming in a long time? [/QUOTE] 

Achievements have been around for a long time, except we used to call them "the high score screen."  And it actually WAS an achievement.

Achievements are one of those things that isn't nearly as good in practice as it looks on paper.  And I realize people like them because they extend the life of a game, but for me I prefer the old trick game designers used to extend the life of a game:  make a really good game that you want to play over and over and over again, not because I have a laundry list of arbitrary goals that I'm shooting for, but because it's actually fun to play over and over and over again.

Vexer1

Postby Vexer1 » November 22nd, 2014, 1:35 am

Snakeboy- Some achievements can be enjoyable to try for, but others are just an exercise in tedium(14 Day Survivor in Dead Rising being the worst example, I want to strangle the game designer who actually thought forcing you to pay for 14 hours straight was a good idea, seriously how many people are ever going to have THAT much free time on their hands and be able to run their systems for that long without damaging them?)

HardcoreSadism1

Postby HardcoreSadism1 » November 22nd, 2014, 4:54 pm

At this point it isn't even funny. We might as well be on the last console generation ever.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » November 22nd, 2014, 9:28 pm

I was fond of them and was even disappointed when Nintendo didn't follow suit with the 3DS and Wii U. But Microsoft deflated that enthusiasm in recent years, especially with the Xbox One. Too much nonsense is associated with them these days so I don't even pay attention anymore to achievements and trophies. 

On the 360, they basically only had three negatives. Poorly designed achievements which could just as easily be ignored, bugged achievements that couldn't be earned, and online achievements that could disappear for games such as from EA that relied on dedicated servers or just forced you to spend way too much time in a mode you simply didn't enjoy.

Several Codemasters racers are basically finished on my 360 minus the experience achievements that would require me to spend dozens of hours on Xbox Live playing bumper cars. I just pretend those don't exist after slogging it out to get all 1,000 on Dirt 2. I've settled for 950 achievement points or so on Dirt 3, Grid, and several others and just stick with the single player components that I do enjoy. 

I always said if I ever found myself doing something in a game that I wasn't enjoying just for an achievement, I was done...

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » November 23rd, 2014, 4:05 am

That's the thing though well thought out trophies/achievements add to a game, improve replayability and make you explore the game more. Likewise poorly designed trophies/achievements can be very off putting.
Uncharted had a very good trophy range, making you experiment with different weapons, explore to find the treasures, etc.
Street Fighter IV on the other hand has those damn mega hours online trophies, like 10 wins in a row, complete 100's of 'challenges' which epitomises what some of you saying.

So to use a well used phase 'Not all trophies are created equal'.

Return to “Classic Gaming”