A Commodore 64 Game to Review

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » September 17th, 2013, 3:36 pm

I have suggested a new C64 game for review.  I only played the ZX Spectrum version emulated online, and I think it is a really cool game.  The game is a first person space shooter called Starglider.  I thought it was just a flying Battlezone until I found out that the game actually had an objective other than getting the best score.  I am not kidding about the fact that the Starglider game/series actually influenced the Star Fox games.  Due to Shigeru Miyamoto's belief that a game must be original to be a good game, he refused to let Nintendo port Starglider to the SNES, so he changed the gameplay concepts and accidentally (or not) turned it into a Space Harrier clone with real polygons instead of scaled sprites.  Starglider is a very popular vector game, and it even pushed the limits of certain computers of that time (the 80's) with its colorful 3d vector graphics.  This game should be reviewed.  I also want the GBA versions of Doom 1 and 2 to be reviewed. 

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » September 17th, 2013, 4:25 pm

Starglider appears similar to the combat portions of Elite - a noted space trading game, with Blue Danube while docking music.  Also brings to mind arcade gems such as Star Wars and Tailgunner.

chuckee71

Postby chuckee71 » September 17th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Starglider is inspired by Jez San's (the developer of the game) favorite game, Star Wars.  Jez San also helped develop Elite.  

C64_Critic1

Postby C64_Critic1 » September 29th, 2013, 10:07 am

I've never played this game, but I'll certainly see if I can secure a copy and do a review on it.  I'm currently playing Elite for my next review, and without trying to tip my hand any game that can be favorably compared to Elite is one I'd like to take a run at!

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » September 29th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Here's wishing you a grand time on Elite. That game just knocked my 80's leg warmers off. So glad to purchase the auto docker first time I could afford it. I have not played chuckees recommendation, but just noted the similarity to one aspect of Elite.

BorntoRun1

Postby BorntoRun1 » October 6th, 2013, 11:49 am

Starglider 2 (the sequel) was a real breakthrough for the time, with smooth, filled-vector polygon graphics and a tremendously large universe for  the time. I have it for my Atari St computer. It was published a one of the only dual-format disks that worked on both the Atari ST and Commodore Amiga. I think a C64 version was released as well.

Return to “Classic Gaming”