Racing Games WITH Rubberband AI?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
rdreynolds1

Postby rdreynolds1 » March 30th, 2015, 12:59 pm

I was blessed to be able to have two full-sized arcade Hydro Thunder machines in my house for the past couple of months before they headed to a new arcade I'm helping with.  During that time, my son and I absolutely fell in love with them.  One of the reasons, believe it or not, is that the AI cheats to help the player in second place stay close to the first place player.  I know a lot of folks hate that, but my son is just 9 and this really made things fun for us as the races always wound up close.

What console games have this feature?  I'd definitely want to hunt them down.  Can be pretty much any era, I have consoles from all of them...

shootingstar1

Postby shootingstar1 » March 30th, 2015, 3:48 pm

Pretty much every Mario Kart game has this feature.

rdreynolds1

Postby rdreynolds1 » March 30th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Thanks, we will definitely try that out.  Hydro Thunder arcade races always are VERY close at the end as long as you don't completely botch them.  They will keep both people playing relatively close...for a nine year old, that's a huge thrill to beat his dad and not be able to tell if he's slowing down to help him or whatever...

Maks

Re: Racing Games WITH Rubberband AI?

Postby Maks » May 28th, 2015, 10:57 pm

By far the worst (or best, I guess) example is Ridge Racer 1 on the Playstation. I'm sure the rest of the series had this as well, but if you've ever raced the "black car" in the first RR, you'll see the most exaggerated rubber band AI known to man.

Rev

Re: Racing Games WITH Rubberband AI?

Postby Rev » May 28th, 2015, 11:10 pm

shootingstar1 wrote:Pretty much every Mario Kart game has this feature.

I never really noticed this being an issue except for Mario Kart 64. It always irritated me that I could never lap the AI even if I was racing great. I have never had this issue with the other games. I guess if it is a problem, it was drastically cut down after this.

Speaking of rubber band AI- Fast and Furious (arcades) is also notorious for this. I usually play this game at the movie theater and the AI will always stay right around you throughout the entire race. It definitely makes the racing more intense but it is a bit annoying if you're trying for a high score since you can never really outrun your opponents who make it their mission to crash you into cars.

Return to “Classic Gaming”