Why does Streets of Rage 3 get all the hate?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Sut1

Postby Sut1 » September 11th, 2013, 5:06 pm

It's just too hard ! Seriously it took me months to complete and even then I couldn't beat the last boss in time without using Shiva and his overhand attack.
It should have been the best in the series but they messed up the balance, whereas SOR 2 nailed it and was more fun as a result.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » September 11th, 2013, 5:10 pm

I thought SR3 was pretty fun, this was a case where the US version got a difficulty bump compared to the Japanese version.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » September 11th, 2013, 5:15 pm

Gamechanger, you should check out Dave's review of Bare Knuckle 3, the original superior Japanese version of Sor 3. If you think the western release is great (it's alright), you'll be glad to know the Japanese game is really ten times better even.

Dynamo1

Postby Dynamo1 » September 11th, 2013, 6:26 pm

All the streets of rage console games had flaws of some sort, I'd say 1 hasn't aged well at all, 2 still has a lot of problems in the controls and gameplay (you can stun-punch most bosses and enemies, meaning the game can become entirely pointless)

Fortunately, some people did a brand new overhaul called streets of rage remake, which contains all stages from sor1 (with remastered graphics to look like sor2), sor2 and sor3, along with many new ones. Ever since I played that, I never touched the original console versions again.

TheLastNightmare1

Postby TheLastNightmare1 » September 11th, 2013, 7:19 pm

Stun punching is why it's not horrible. Nobody wants to use the punch in a game where every common enemy doesn't blink when you hit them and just hits you back. Soon, you're reduced to spamming the special moves, or exploiting AI weakness - it's no longer a game at that point, so much as analyzing code.

I'm not interested in taking on a volunteer job.

If including basic combo opportunities makes the game too easy for you, then just bask in your skills, and enjoy the difficulty hacks that are out to murder you from the start.

The rest of us will just enjoy the game as it was meant to be played.

darkrage61

Postby darkrage61 » September 12th, 2013, 12:41 am

I downloaded the Streets Of Rage remake about a year ago and it was really cool, shame that Sega took legal action against it though.

Did any of you play Saints Of Row IV?  There was one mission that was a homage to Streets Of Rage called "Saints Of Rage, it captured the feel of the SOR series pretty well and made me think that Volition would be a good choice to develop an SOR game.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » September 12th, 2013, 2:23 am

Since the topic has been cleared up, I absolutely love SoR3. I enjoy it a bit more then the second one for several reasons- more characters, the ability to run, a charge meter for your specials, better utilization of weapons, and some other stuff. The stages get dull after about the 5th level but before that the game is solid gold. I really wish the later levels weren't so dry and boring and I've been keeping an eye out for the superior Bare Knuckles 3 game.

As for the Beats of Rage game, I don't think you can buy a disc of it, but downloading the ISO and putting it on a disc (so you can play it on your actual DC is simple enough). I recommend this article:

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/hacks/how-to-burn-retro-game-images-with-all-free-software#bin-cue

for burning games with free software in about 5 mins. Scroll down to the Dreamcast section. The game itself can be downloaded at:

http://theisozone.com/downloads/dreamcast/homebrew-games/

Note: I'm not pushing for emulation at all but someone did ask how you could play the game. Since there is no physical copy of the game available for purchase this is the only way to play the game on an actual DC.

I hope this goes through but I understand if it doesn't.

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » September 12th, 2013, 6:53 am

SOR3 is not a bad game, but when I bought it back in 1994 as kid (time flies!) I was very disappointed. SOR2 set so high standards and SOR3 just can't match them. SOR3 is a lot faster, but it's also a lot harder (I especially hate some of the bosses, that can take forever to beat), it looks less pixel-perfect and I find the music in SOR3 horrendous for the most part - while I loved all the music in SOR2. SOR3 has some very good points (new special moves, hidden characters, some remarkable stage designs, multiple pads), but in comparison with SOR2 I still find it disappointing - even 19 years after buying the cartridge!

Dynamo1

Postby Dynamo1 » September 13th, 2013, 9:18 am

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]Stun punching is why it's not horrible. Nobody wants to use the punch in a game where every common enemy doesn't blink when you hit them and just hits you back. Soon, you're reduced to spamming the special moves, or exploiting AI weakness - it's no longer a game at that point, so much as analyzing code.[/QUOTE]
I am pretty sure it's not about spamming the special moves or exploiting AI weaknesses at all, considering otherwise the AI is the same as the original. Having played SOR remake for over 50 hours I can safely say I never had to spam special moves. I guess it must be fun to criticize without even having given the game a chance (and thus ending up with false stuff).

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]I'm not interested in taking on a volunteer job. [/QUOTE]
What?

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]If including basic combo opportunities makes the game too easy for you, then just bask in your skills, and enjoy the difficulty hacks that are out to murder you from the start. [/QUOTE]
I think I prefer genuine overhauls of the series rather than cheap hacks thrown together in a day or two. Suit yourself though.

[QUOTE=TheLastNightmare]The rest of us will just enjoy the game as it was meant to be played.[/QUOTE]
Well, have fun playing outdated games I suppose

Return to “Classic Gaming”