Gulf Between Arcades and Consoles

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Hardcore Sadism

Re: Gulf Between Arcades and Consoles

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 17th, 2015, 11:08 pm

jon wrote:Because, it was a joke that the SNES was the most popular system until '96, are you kidding me.

Maybe not everyone had a pedestal to shine when it came to PC Vs. Arcade Vs. Console in the 1990's...

Except in your world, where an affordable 4k/120fps arcade machine existed in 1993.

EDIT:

/cooloff

JWK

Postby JWK » May 18th, 2015, 12:18 am

Well, you see, gamers like games. They don't play system specs. They play games. Gamers went where the best games were and that was the Super Nintendo. You could hype the specs of the 3DO or the Jaguar or 3D arcades. The SNES has a better library of games than all those other systems put together. You should try playing some of them. Or keep talking about rudimentary, 20 year old tech and wondering what could have been if the Jaguar sold better. Your choice.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » May 18th, 2015, 1:59 am

Some Mega Drive games looked so good they were ported into the arcades: Thunderforce 3 became Thunderforce AC, yet most people refer to the original console game as the superior version. Thanks to separate attachments (32X...), it was eventually possible to run "pre PS1" tech, for lack of a better word.

DKC on Super Nintendo was a technological achievement, whether you like its aesthetics or not, this tech had an impact in arcades,as pointed out already. Starfox/Starwing looked amazing, considering:
A console with enough horsepower to run Virtua Racing, Cop and co back then? As pointed in other threads, cost would have been way to high for anyone to afford. Commercial failure. More powerful systems did come out eventually, they were still technically inferior to the arcades, and the majority of their games didn't have that arcade flavor, most of these games being Japanese anyways. That's why the Megadrive/Super Nintendo and Pc Engine are the best systems from that era when it comes to arcade gaming, thanks to Capcom, Sega, Taito... between legendary arcade ports and or creations that matched and sometimes even surpassed the arcades (I mentioned Thunderforce 3, how about Super Ghouls'n'Ghosts on Super Nintendo, a better looking sequel to Ghouls'nGhosts? It looks so good Capcom usually includes it as part of arcade compilations on more recent systems such as the PSP for example).

The PC Engine was an 8 bit system originally set to compete with the Famicom, yet games there are just as good looking as what you'd expect from a Megadrive or a SNES! Thanks to various attachments, it's home to the best Neo Geo ports from this era, and Sapphire, a rare, expensive shmup, looks so good you'd venture to say it came out on something like the Saturn!
The system pioneered CD Rom gaming, and arcades eventually embraced that kind of tech (Naomi games being prime examples).

And, of course, the Neo Geo AES was available as an home console version of the Neo Geo MVS arcades if you could afford it. A great system, great looking arcade games, the superior 2D console existed. It cost too much to compete with Sega and Nintendo, nor was it meant to be. But the superior 2D console existed, with games released well past this era (still to this day even, if you consider the -expensive- homebrew scene, I'm looking at you, Duranik).

jon

Postby jon » May 21st, 2015, 1:23 pm

The Neo Geo is a fantastic system. And the Genesis is great too. But the SNES came to the marketplace here in late 1991. And a couple years later it was affordable to have 2d that smoked what that crap system could do. And I'm sorry I'm offended all the Magic the Gathering playing, RPG freaks. Without them, the SNES is not the infallible gem of a system it's made out to be. Laughably pathetic sports and action games compared to the Genesis, not even going to mention how it stacks up against the Neo Geo and arcades. Sega was on the cutting edge, sure the Sega CD/32x fiasco, but they had some indelible franchises they created during that time. So again. The 1994-1995 period was an absolute joke.

Oltobaz

Postby Oltobaz » May 21st, 2015, 1:47 pm

The Super Famicom, or SFC, the Japanese original incarnation, came out in late 1990. I mentioned Super Ghouls'n ghosts. No one can deny how amazing it looks. Few sprites 2D games look this good. Part of some Capcom arcades comps nowadays. CPS arcade system quality, in other words. Most impressive. I could also point out Super Contra III, from a franchise similar in many ways to celebrated Neo Geo Metal Slug series, yet predating it by a few years. Fantastic looking game by every account. And what about Super Aleste, for some frantic vertical shmup action (no slowdown at all)

Yet, you're right, it does have RPGs. A lot of these. But then, so does the Mega Drive/ Genesis. You don't have to like those, but, if you were into the genre, you'd undersand how awesome they are. I'll give you some food for thought. I'm no sport fan, hence wouldn't comment on most sport games out there. I know they wouldn't be for me in most cases, but wouldn't comment on their intrinsic qualities. It's called objectivity, which you lack.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 21st, 2015, 2:28 pm

The fact that a good poster like Steer can get banned for being heavily opinionated, and yet you are allowed to stay despite repeatedly insulting other members over their taste in games and continue to spew your "game developers purposely suppressed 2D" conspiracy garbage on a daily basis even in threads where it's not warranted in the slightest, is sad as hell.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 21st, 2015, 5:58 pm

jon wrote:And I'm sorry I'm offended everyone with my posting quality.

God I seriously hate your posts.

JWK

Postby JWK » May 21st, 2015, 6:49 pm

@jon - that you are *this* upset about the video games you liked 20 years not becoming popular... Doesn't that make you worry about yourself? The Super Nintendo was successful, had one of the deepest libraries and is one of the most influential systems ever created. It's been 25 years. Time to move on.

jon

Postby jon » May 21st, 2015, 8:36 pm

Look. I'll tone it down. Post Edited: Non apology apology

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » May 22nd, 2015, 3:52 pm

I definitely disagree on Steer being a "good" poster, 95% of the time he was doing nothing but insulting people who dared not to blindly worship at the altar of Nintendo, not to mention evading bans for a ridiculously long time.

Return to “Classic Gaming”