Gulf Between Arcades and Consoles

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JWK

Re: Gulf Between Arcades and Consoles

Postby JWK » May 16th, 2015, 3:59 pm

The divide between arcades and the 2600 during the 80's was far wider than the divide between arcades and SNES/Genesis in the 90's. Anyone with eyeballs can see that. Go check out Donkey Kong arcade vs. 2600. Look at Double Dragon arcade vs. 2600. You honestly want to tell us those squares are more similar to the arcade sprites than the difference between Mortal Kombat 2 on SNES and the arcade? Or that the SNES port of Street Fighter 2 was somehow vastly inferior to the arcade because Chun Li's hair was slightly off?

Yes, there was a divide between the two. Duh. If there wasn't, why would people have gone to the arcade at all? And when companies tried to legitimately bring arcades into the home-- like say purchasing a Neo Geo and a couple of games-- the cost rose into the THOUSANDS. To get games onto the more popular home consoles meant concessions had to be made. Again, duh.

You also can't seem to tell the difference between what you don't like and technology required to create that very thing you don't like. Ask any game developer of the mid-90's if they thought Donkey Kong Country's technology was "laughable" at the time. Those pre-rendered CGI silicon graphics and digitized sprites were revolutionary in the 90's. Several 2D console games aped it's style and it became a very popular gap between 2D and full-polygon 3D games; Super Mario RPG, Vectorman 1 and 2, etc. i just played an arcade beat-em-up called King of Crystals that used the some DKC effects. The game was made in 2000! Do I love DKC's graphical style? No, I prefer sprites. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a technological achievement that console game developers used for the next couple of years, even into the PS1 era. You could have simply stated, "I don't like DKC or its graphics," instead of claiming to have technological knowledge of the era when you're clearly ignorant.

jon

Postby jon » May 16th, 2015, 5:35 pm

DKC was released in 1994. Compare that to something like Virtua Striker or Daytona USA and tell me what's more impressive. The SNES was absolutely obsolete by that time, it was a joke. It couldn't even handle more than a few sprites at once. I wasn't around in the early 80s but we had an era in the 90s, 93-95, where there wasn't even a console that could even try porting certain arcade games.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 16th, 2015, 6:23 pm

jon wrote:The SNES was absolutely obsolete by that time, it was a joke.

I ask why, but I also list three (highly likely) answers:

>...Because '3D' was attempted on the Super Nintendo
>...Because it isn't a Neo Geo
>...Because it isn't exactly like the Atari Jaguar

jon

Postby jon » May 16th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Actually, I like the Sega Genesis too. It was more arcade oriented. Considering it was released in '89, it was strong for the time. My complaint is that there wasn't a significantly more advanced 2d machine released in the '92-'93 range. The technology was there. The SNES/Genesis were allowed to run ape**** over the industry with unfathomably obsolete technology those last few years before 3d. It was a joke. And I'm still pissed off.

jon

Postby jon » May 16th, 2015, 10:04 pm

And that's why there was such a gulf. You could go into the arcades in 1994 and be blown away by games such as Virtua Cop, Virtua Striker, Cruis'n USA, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, but the home market was a monumental letdown.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 17th, 2015, 10:09 am

jon wrote:And I'm still pissed off.

That says more about you than it does the "state of 2D"(lol).

JWK

Postby JWK » May 17th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Once again, you have no idea how to separate your personal feelings and the statements you make as fact. DKC sold 8 million copies and once it was bundled with the system was the final push to overcome the U.S. market share that Sega had in the early years of the Genesis, giving Nintendo both the lions share of hardware and software sales. Wouldn't it just have been easier to claim you don't like the game or system than displaying your ignorance on the game's importance and success?

Youre still clinging to your "the Snes can't handle more than a couple sprites" statement from a couple years ago? You were proven wrong multiple times in that thread. Technologically, the SNES could handle up to 108 sprites on the screen at once and virtually the entire VGC forum gave you examples of games with multiple simultaneous sprites. Again, ignorance. I'm sensing a pattern!

I've already said that consoles were technologically inferior to arcades. Duh. Everyone knows that. Are you really that impressed that a new Sega arcade in 1994 looked better than a game that came out for an aging home console? If the crux of your argument rests on, "well Daytona USA looks better than DKC!" to prove that Rare's work wasn't technologically impressive, you're out of your depth.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » May 17th, 2015, 12:43 pm

I... I get it now! Yooka-Laylee does not look like Metroid which (Insert PS1 game) does not look like Virtua Cop!

Explains every single post Jon makes.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » May 17th, 2015, 1:15 pm

I'm surprised you don't ever talk about Star Fox or Stunt Race FX or the Super FX in general considering your love of early 3D games. Star Fox on the SNES was a mind blowing technical achievement. Yeah, you can compare it to any number of arcade games or 5th Gen console, but for a 16 bit game, this was stunning.

jon

Postby jon » May 17th, 2015, 9:05 pm

It's not that Daytona USA and loads of other arcade games looked better than DKC, it's that it made it look ridiculous in comparison. It's really a shame that in the '93-'95 era systems like the 3do and Jaguar didn't have a bigger market share. Because, it was a joke that the SNES was the most popular system until '96, are you kidding me.

Return to “Classic Gaming”