Got an Everdrive 64! Game recommendations?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ptdebate

Got an Everdrive 64! Game recommendations?

Postby ptdebate » July 8th, 2015, 8:11 pm

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know about my experience with the Everdrive.

In short, I love it! I got the new v3 edition with virtual 100% compatibility--it even supports an internal clock so Animal Forest (JP version of Animal Crossing) runs perfectly.

My roommate and I have been hosting regular n64 game nights and this thing has been a huge hit with my friends!

I currently have it loaded up with all the US releases + Animal Forest. Other than the obvious Sin and Punishment, what are some rare, obscure, or import n64 games (preferably but not necessarily multiplayer) that we should try out?

Rev

Re: Got an Everdrive 64! Game recommendations?

Postby Rev » July 8th, 2015, 10:22 pm

Hmm... I don't own an Everdrive (sounds cool) but I do own a few imports for the N64. Honestly, the two best and easiest to imports are Sin and Punishment and Bangai-O! Both of these titles have little to no language barrier. Bomberman 64 (the import version not to be confused with the US release) is also an excellent import. Those are the three I own. I heard that a lot of the other imports have quite a language barrier. If you find something else that is excellent with little to no language barrier I'd love to know. There aren't a ton of sources for import N64 titles (that actually go in depth) out there.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 9th, 2015, 7:07 am

There are some interesting non Japanese imports.

Four that come to mind that I've been able to successfully play on my NTSC system are HSV Adventure Racing (The Australian version of Beetle Adventure Racing with the new Beetles replaced with HSV Commodores), Lylat Wars 64 (The European version of Star Fox 64 which includes optional SuperNes style animal voices in place of the annoying voice work), F1 Racing Championship (The sequel to Monaco Grand Prix, an underrated classic on the system), and F1 World Grand Prix II (Sequel to the very well recieved original). The Everdrive seems to be able to play PAL games on a NTSC N64, somehow. Or at least it works for me on my system and tv.

And for Japanese imports, the rumble editions of Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 are worthwhile additions to your Everdrive's lineup.

The Frogger prototype is also interesting. Not because of the unfinished game itself, but because it includes a finished port of the arcade classic that is fully playable.

Other than messing around with Densha de Go (Not especially import friendly or a genre with much interest for most), I think that's all I've ever loaded up on my Everdrive 64 for imports and unreleased material. Wish I could track down Test Drive Rally from DICE someday to add to it. Looked great at the time and I was especially saddened after buying my Xbox over a decade ago and seeing what this developer did with the RalliSport Challenge series afterwards.

http://www.ign.com/articles/1999/11/11/test-drive-rally

It's supposedly even finished, a casualty of the declining health of the system at the time and the relatively high production costs associated with cartridges.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 10th, 2015, 7:01 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, guys!
Rev, Baku Bomberman is AMAZING!

I just wanted to let you know about a couple interesting finds that I would highly recommend to those with an Everdrive:

N64 Master Quest--it's a debug version of OOT:Master Quest for N64! I'm playing it and can confirm it's exactly the same as the one that released for Gamecube.

The other is Dance Dance Revolution (yes! you heard right) Disney Dancing Museum. IT'S A DDR GAME WITH CUTE DISNEY CHARACTERS. See the Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_Dan ... ing_Museum

Rev

Postby Rev » July 11th, 2015, 8:39 am

I might try the DDR game. I used to love it in my late teens/early 20's (really until I hurt my back). The Master Quest game also sound interesting. I'm assuming it is in Japanese? If you've played OOT you probably don't need the English version, is it already translated?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » July 11th, 2015, 11:53 am

Rev wrote:I might try the DDR game. I used to love it in my late teens/early 20's (really until I hurt my back). The Master Quest game also sound interesting. I'm assuming it is in Japanese? If you've played OOT you probably don't need the English version, is it already translated?

It's translated!

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 11th, 2015, 8:27 pm

I can't believe that Master Quest slipped my mind.

Does your download of it have correct button icons? Mine appears to a direct rip from Wind Waker's bonus disc, with GCN button colors substituted.

Return to “Classic Gaming”