I feel the GameCube is vastly overrated.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ptdebate

Re: I feel the GameCube is vastly overrated.

Postby ptdebate » July 22nd, 2015, 10:31 pm

scotland wrote:Complaing about a lack of internet capability seems unfair, or at least any online gaming I did then was on PC.

Oddly enough, I'm one of the few who used the Gamecube primarily as an online gaming platform. I played Phantasy Star Online from 2002 (when it was released) until 2005, not long before the servers were taken down. Out of all my Gamecube games, I played an MMORPG most of all--so much that I neglected classics like The Wind Waker, Super Mario Sunshine, and Viewtiful Joe.

Atariboy, I also recall Eurogamer mentioning something about the PS2's high embedded RAM bandwidth. That doesn't do much to stack up against the GC's raw processing advantage though; It's like arguing that the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4 because its 32MB of eSRAM reaches a higher peak bandwidth than the PS4's GDDR5 system RAM. The PS4 still has more GPU compute units and a higher clock speed to boot. This results in better real-world performance every time.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 22nd, 2015, 11:34 pm

Also, if you're willing to pay an arm and a leg, the Panasonic Q is a GameCube with a DVD player.

Rev

Postby Rev » July 23rd, 2015, 1:14 am

You can even go a different approach and buy a Wii, soft mod it, and play DVD's that way. Wii's are going cheap so that is a definite option if you're looking for a NGC with dvd playback.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 23rd, 2015, 1:36 am

ptdebate wrote:Atariboy, I also recall Eurogamer mentioning something about the PS2's high embedded RAM bandwidth. That doesn't do much to stack up against the GC's raw processing advantage though; It's like arguing that the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4 because its 32MB of eSRAM reaches a higher peak bandwidth than the PS4's GDDR5 system RAM. The PS4 still has more GPU compute units and a higher clock speed to boot. This results in better real-world performance every time.

Yeah, but I wasn't out to argue the point that the PS2 was significantly inferior to the Xbox and GameCube in capabilities.

I was just adding that in a small way, the PS2 hardware still had some advantages over both (Such as the higher storage capacity of the PS2's disc medium over that of the GCN, which appears to have been one of the contributors to its once healthy 3rd party support starting to die out prematurely back in 2004).

ptdebate wrote:In every demonstrable way though, the Gamecube's hardware beats the PS2's.

noah98

Postby noah98 » July 24th, 2015, 7:33 am

Animal Crossing on the Gamecube is one of my favorite games of all time. SSBM, Wind Waker, Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike, and Luigi's Mansion are also great games.

I agree that Mario Sunshine was a disappointment (my least favorite in the series). I'm not a fan of Metroid Prime either (I prefer 2d over 3d fps).

The controller is somewhat overrated. The dpad is terrible (the size of a Lucky Charm) and the C-Stick isn't great.

I don't think it is an overrated system since it didn't sell all that well. It's nowhere near my favorite Nintendo system, but it is still a good one.

Greisha

Postby Greisha » July 24th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Didn't the GC have faster loading times too, due to the size of the discs?

I dunno, I think the GC is pretty cool in that Nintendo released a few weirdo games back in that generation. Pikmin? Animal Crossing? Odama? Wario Ware? Four Swords?

But ... yeah, the controller wasn't that good, the 3rd party support was ... *shrugs* ... and it lacked Pilotwings. What the hay!!!

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » August 1st, 2015, 11:55 pm

Specs aside just looking at the games the GameCube was more powerful than PS2 and slightly weaker than Xbox.

Xbox reigned supreme when it came to grafx during this generation. PS2 was great because it had so many more games then the others. Gamecube was just kind of stuck in the middle in terms of power and only had a fraction of the games of the Xbox and PS2.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 2nd, 2015, 6:26 am

I feel like the GameCube gets a bum rap where 3rd party support is concerned.

Sure, it lacked Grand Theft Auto, releases started to dry up late in its generation while the Xbox was still going strong for another year or so further in that department, disc capacity sometimes was an issue as time progressed, and we started to see ports be delayed too often. But for its first few years, it saw the best support a Nintendo console has seen in the past 20 years.

If a PS2 game was ported over to the Xbox and it appeared before 2004, chances are that it's also available on the GameCube and likely surpasses the PS2 source material while giving the Xbox conversion a run for its money. And a number of 3rd party releases that otherwise would've been a PS2 or Xbox exclusive saw their only port here.

And then there's a small but fine stable of excellent releases that were exclusives like the Rogue Squadron games. And then there are other titles that started out as exclusives, but succeeded so well that the publisher couldn't resist in porting it to the competition and bringing it to a wider audience later on (Resident Evil 4 is perhaps the finest example).
Last edited by Atariboy on November 15th, 2015, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rev

Postby Rev » August 2nd, 2015, 12:36 pm

Atariboy wrote:I feel like the GameCube gets a bum rap where 3rd party support is concerned.

Sure, it lacked Grand Theft Auto, releases started to dry up late in its generation while the Xbox was still going strong for another year or so further in that department, disc capacity sometimes was an issue as time progressed, and we started to see ports be delayed too often. But for its first few years, it saw the best support a Nintendo console had seen in the past 20 years.

If a PS2 game was ported over to the Xbox and it appeared before 2004, chances are that it's also available on the GameCube and likely surpasses the PS2 source material while giving the Xbox conversion a run for its money. And a number of 3rd party releases that otherwise would've been a PS2 or Xbox exclusive saw their only port here.

And then there's a small but fine stable of excellent releases that were exclusives like the Rogue Squadron games. And then there are other titles that started out as exclusives, but succeeded so well that the publisher couldn't resist in porting it to the competition and bringing it to a wider audience later on (Resident Evil 4 is perhaps the finest example).

I totally agree. The NGC is the first real NIntendo console to get Sega exclusive games. It also has the Capcom games, MGS Twin Snakes, Dreamcast arcade ports, and a lot more. The library was smaller but for a Nintendo console it really did have pretty decent 3rd party support (especially since a lot of them were exclusives).

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 29th, 2017, 10:01 am

Nintendo's revised sales statistics that were put up this week give my something to post the next time the GameCube is accused of poor 3rd party support.

Only the Super Nintendo and Game Boy Advance have a greater percentage of 3rd party sales.

Return to “Classic Gaming”