What game system's lack of sucess shocked you?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
jon

Re: What game system's lack of sucess shocked you?

Postby jon » December 5th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Baseball Stars was still pretty awesome on the Neo Geo, especially the 2nd one. I always say that if the Neo Geo was priced comparably to the other 16 bit consoles, it would have destroyed them in popularity. Compare Metal Slug to anything on the SNES, it's a joke.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 6th, 2015, 1:03 pm

I always say that if the Neo Geo was priced comparably to the other 16 bit consoles, it would have destroyed them in popularity. Compare Metal Slug to anything on the SNES, it's a joke.

I disagree. Superior graphics doesn't make a superior game. I love "Metal Slug", but there are plenty of SNES games that I think are much better over all.

Rev

Postby Rev » December 6th, 2015, 1:12 pm

jon wrote:Baseball Stars was still pretty awesome on the Neo Geo, especially the 2nd one. I always say that if the Neo Geo was priced comparably to the other 16 bit consoles, it would have destroyed them in popularity. Compare Metal Slug to anything on the SNES, it's a joke.

That's not really a fair comparison. If the SNES or Genesis cost $650 with $200 games a piece originally at retail, they would have been comparably as good graphically, as the Neo Geo. That is like saying if a $2,000 computer was priced, $200 it would beat the other $200 computers- obviously. However, the majority of people couldn't afford the Neo Geo. Due to that, the Neo Geo had a very solid selection of arcade games but nothing else (since the vast majority were always arcade ports and nothing else). Maybe if the Neo Geo was cheaper and had more people able to buy it, we would have seen some truly amazing RPGs, action titles, and other genres for the console- however that wasn't the case.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 7th, 2015, 10:22 am

The NEO GEO was successful. It was only ever intended for arcades and rental, and still lasted for a good 14 years. Any business they got from home owners was seen as an extra bonus.

If they'd competed on price, the most optimistic appraisal is they create a standard 16 bit system that hopefully has built in sprite scaling, then we watch as their first wave of releases can't compete with Nintendo, Sega, or even Capcom.

JWK

Postby JWK » December 7th, 2015, 11:05 am

I say that if full arcade cabinets were priced at $20 a piece and came with a warehouse to store them in they would have DESTROYED the Super Nintendo. Especially if the Super Nintendo was priced at $10,000.

Stupid RPG machine!

Jaguar 4 lyfe!!!1!1!

jon

Postby jon » December 7th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Rev Edit: Edited due to misguided attacks on groups of people.

Rev

Postby Rev » December 7th, 2015, 3:16 pm

Jon, this is one of those instances where I'm going to remove your platform to derail the thread into Jaguar and Neo Geo debates. Whenever you get your hands on these types of threads they always turn out the same. Drop the debate and go back to the original topic. If you have a problem discuss it over PM's. Any other posts in relation to Jon's will be deleted.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 7th, 2015, 4:33 pm

I agree with Scotland, Tron, and Maks about the INTV. I started out with the 2600, and then moved up to the INTV because my two best friends were saying how great it was. Paid for it with my paper-delivery memory (yeah, such a job once existed for a young kid).

However, none of my other friends had one. The feeling was that the controllers were terrible (I never had a problem with them), and the system was more for 'nerds'. I always thought the INTV should have done better that just being a niche system. The fact that it was sandwiched between the popular 2600 and the CV/5200 probably sealed its fate.

DevMac10

Postby DevMac10 » December 9th, 2015, 3:30 pm

jon wrote:Rev Edit: Edited due to misguided attacks on groups of people.

Edit: Personal Attack

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » December 10th, 2015, 6:44 am

I'm gonna say I'm pretty shocked the Game Gear was only a modest success rather than a smash hit. I mean, it was a full color handheld with a backlit screen and smooth graphics... in the early '90s! That's actually really impressive. It also had quite a good library of games, and it was made by Sega when they were still perceived as the cool company and the Genesis and Sonic were the "in" thing. This was before they alienated their fans and still had a lot of goodwill with gamers. The thing should have set the world on fire. Was the battery life really that much of a negative point that this fine portable couldn't do any better than it did?

Return to “Classic Gaming”