Tales of Hardware Failures

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Re: Tales of Hardware Failures

Postby matmico399 » February 26th, 2016, 8:29 pm

I now have a bunch of retro consoles. But 2 years ago I only had a PS2 and a 360. I started collecting about a year and a half back but have obv gotten the older ones lately and they work great. The only console I have had to replace was my original PS2. It died after about five years but I was able to purchase another at Game Stop for about $50 back in 2008 I believe it was. Other than that no problems.....

Shapur

Postby Shapur » February 26th, 2016, 10:40 pm

Hardcore Sadism wrote:The only reason I even purchased the PSP Go was to expand my collection, and even at that, I am astounded (not really) at how badly this thing is built. It doesn't even age well after years of not being used. There are dead pixels everywhere and the whole thing gets hot after ten minutes.

That heat might be the battery. As the batteries get older(many recharge/discharge cycles, or just left for extended periods of time with no charge), they will begin getting very hot when charging, or during use. If you can take it out it might appear a bit convex instead of flat if it is really far gone.

Speaking of deteriorating unused hardware my Xbox 360 HD DVD drive barely works. I have to use a paperclip, or my fingernail to help the drive open. It's ridiculous, I used the thing about 7 times I think and it has just been sitting since 2007 or so.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » March 10th, 2016, 1:37 am

Oh the failures. Here's a few:

1. Our home took a lightning strike, and as a result, so did my SNES. We brought it to a Nintendo repair shop and a five agonizing weeks later we had a new one.

2. The original XBox. I killed 3 of these playing Knights of the Old Republic. Three separate times. Crappy disc drives.

3. The right side of my Virtual Boy. The picture is a garbled mess. No idea how to fix this...yet.

Return to “Classic Gaming”