Top 10 highest grossing arcade games ever

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: Top 10 highest grossing arcade games ever

Postby scotland » April 10th, 2016, 11:29 am

I like Indianapolis, so if I ever get back, I'll stop by.

I've never played "Vs Castlevania". Is it the original Castlevania? Does it use an arcade stick or dpad or individual directional buttons? Anyone play this one?

Those pinball machines are too close together though. Its fine for an arcade machine to be close, but a pinball machine needs some room alongside it. Since the pinball machines take more floorspace, there is probably a good reason to group them together, but that is too tight a grouping.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 10th, 2016, 12:26 pm

Now, that's my kind of bar!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » April 10th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Yeah I think the arcade is getting a mini revival in the form of the barcade. Here in Kansas City there are two barcades, the tapcade and up-down, as well as a retro-themed bar and dance club called throwback which doesn't have machines but has tvs set up with games. I've only been to tapcade but it has a good number of classic machines (and importantly, enough room to play them) and a big screen in the back where they have retro game tournaments on consoles. I'm hoping to check out up-down soon.

I know of a good barcade in Chicago, there are a couple in Denver, and in Las Vegas there is a cool one on Fremont street that not only has machines but also lets you play current consoles when you sit at the bar. It seems every major city has or will soon have a barcade. So, anyone who thinks the arcade is dead probably just isn't drinking enough to know these are out there :lol:

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » April 10th, 2016, 4:42 pm

I've been meaning to post this, but I went to Pinball PA, a massive arcade in Hopewell, Pennsylvania. I went back to western Pennsylvania last summer to visit family and friends, and was blown away by this place. I've been to Funspot in New Hampshire, but the arcade in Hopewell is better. Click on the link below and check out their "Games List". Wow.

I think about 250 arcade classics from the 60's to the 90's, and about 150 pinball machines, all in immaculate condition. In New Hampshire, many games were either out of order or not working properly. Not the case in Hopewell. I spoke to the two owners, and the one owner knows everything about restoring and maintaining the games. For example, Dragon's Lair worked like a charm. The controls were perfect, and I was able to get surprisingly far. The controls Dragon's Lair at Funspot were really shaky and I could barely get past the first board.

I went twice with a couple of friends and my two sons, 15 and 8, and we all were in awe. Kids said it was better than Disneyland. If you like arcades, I can't recommend this place enough.

http://coinophof.com/

Tron

Postby Tron » April 10th, 2016, 11:27 pm

I know Gauntlet & Double Dragon have been mentioned, but they must be in the top 20, maybe?

Golden Axe, Galaga, Frogger, Q-Bert, Bust A Move, all must have made $$$$.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » April 11th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:I've been meaning to post this, but I went to Pinball PA, a massive arcade in Hopewell, Pennsylvania. I went back to western Pennsylvania last summer to visit family and friends, and was blown away by this place. I've been to Funspot in New Hampshire, but the arcade in Hopewell is better. Click on the link below and check out their "Games List". Wow.

I think about 250 arcade classics from the 60's to the 90's, and about 150 pinball machines, all in immaculate condition. In New Hampshire, many games were either out of order or not working properly. Not the case in Hopewell. I spoke to the two owners, and the one owner knows everything about restoring and maintaining the games. For example, Dragon's Lair worked like a charm. The controls were perfect, and I was able to get surprisingly far. The controls Dragon's Lair at Funspot were really shaky and I could barely get past the first board.

I went twice with a couple of friends and my two sons, 15 and 8, and we all were in awe. Kids said it was better than Disneyland. If you like arcades, I can't recommend this place enough.

http://coinophof.com/

Sounds amazing. I'll have to plan a trip up this spring or summer. A friend of mine had his wedding reception at a place in Pittsburgh called Games N' At ( https://sites.google.com/site/gamesnatsite/ ) a few years ago and that was fun, but this sounds like it's on another level entirely.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » April 11th, 2016, 7:06 pm

Tron wrote:I know Gauntlet & Double Dragon have been mentioned, but they must be in the top 20, maybe?

Golden Axe, Galaga, Frogger, Q-Bert, Bust A Move, all must have made $$$$.

Gauntlet: Now that was a quarter eating game if there ever was one. Galaga, Frogger, and Q-Bert were all great games, but I don't think there was the near hysteria that there was for Pac-Man and Donkey Kong. Also, Q-Bert was released in 1983, and the arcade scene started its decline in mid 82.

Velcrozombie, Games n' At, LOL! I've been there at least a half a dozen times. Fun place. Now I have a hankering for a Primanti Bros Capp and cheese. You will be blown away by Pinball PA. Games n' At is cool, but Pinball PA is in a league of its own. From the Fort Pitt Tunnel, it's probably 15-20 minutes without traffic. When we went, we were there for 4 hours each time, but could have stayed all day.

We'll probably be going back to the Burgh this summer, and we'll definitely be going again.

Return to “Classic Gaming”