Tron the arcade game (1982)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
matmico399

Tron the arcade game (1982)

Postby matmico399 » May 12th, 2016, 6:47 pm

I luved this game as a kid in the arcades way back then. I could never get enough of it, esp the laser bikes part. I have been searching for awhile for a physical copy of it in some greatest hits collection to no avail. Low and behold you can buy it for download at the Live store for a paltry 4.99. Good times.

tortimer

Re: Tron the arcade game (1982)

Postby tortimer » September 4th, 2016, 12:18 pm

Same here. Unfortunately, even the most closely emulated version of a game like this cannot replicate the experience of stepping up to the machine, dropping in a quarter, the ambient sounds of the arcade and of course the added sense of pressure knowing you have to make the most of that quarter - which might be your last one before having to search through the coin return slots in hopes of finding another.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 6th, 2016, 7:23 pm

I too am a huge fan of Tron http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=10204 and Discs of Tron http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=7594. And I've seen the original movie multiple times.

I went back to Western Pennsylvania last month to visit family and friends, and was able to play both games at a massive classic arcade about 15 minutes from Pittsburgh Intl. Airport. These games are still a blast to play. And Discs of Tron was the enclosed booth version, which is really cool.

http://www.pinballpa.com/game-list/video-games

I know I've only brought up this arcade here about a thousand times before but man oh man oh man is it awesome.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 7th, 2016, 4:15 pm

Ah Gleeber I would luv to visit that place! Fantastic selection of classic arcade games. They have something like that around here but it's just the most popular games. When I saw Armor Attack i was like whoa. Awesome place!

Tron

Postby Tron » September 11th, 2016, 1:47 am

Some things are best left as memories in the arcade. Playing this game as a download would be fun for a few minutes, but then I'd get bored and wish that I could just play it at an arcade. It's funny; when I was a kid I dreamed about playing arcade games on a home console. Now as an adult I dream about finding arcade games anywhere.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 11th, 2016, 11:27 am

Tron wrote:Some things are best left as memories in the arcade. Playing this game as a download would be fun for a few minutes, but then I'd get bored and wish that I could just play it at an arcade. It's funny; when I was a kid I dreamed about playing arcade games on a home console. Now as an adult I dream about finding arcade games anywhere.

Agreed. Playing games at an arcade is a unique experience, and playing these classics as a console download kind of kills that experience for me. I was (and still am) a huge fan of the classic Atari arcade game Food Fight. Over the past 10 years I've posted here how much I love that game. A couple years ago, my son and I downloaded Food Fight on the 360 and really enjoyed it.

The problem is that every time my sons and I go back to that massive arcade in western Pennsylvania, I don't really have any inclination to play Food Fight. It's not that I'm sick of the game, it's just that playing it on the 360 took away the magic of playing it at the arcade.

I've played Tron and Discs of Tron a ton, but only at the arcade, and the games are just as fun to play each and every time.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 11th, 2016, 12:38 pm

That's right. Arcades are an experience. A quarter gets me so far. How long can I make that quarter last? Sometimes I want to go out. Arcades gave me a place to go to kill some time.

I like some arcade games at home. I have nearly all the compilation discs on PSP and ps2, but some games like the Tron games and Gauntlet are best left in the arcade. To see how far you can go and see how long your quarters could last was part of the fun.

Living at the arcades was purely an 80's & 90's experience. If you didn't live it it's hard to relate. Nowadays everyone is on phones playing mobile games. As I post this from my phone I'd rather trade mobile phones for the arcades. I'll just use a pay phone.

scotland

Postby scotland » September 11th, 2016, 1:52 pm

Tron wrote:That's right. Arcades are an experience.

+1 to this line of thinking.

Arcades are an experience that a home system does not fully replicate. There has always been a tension between whether Americans will spend their leisure time and money inside their home, or outside their home. Arcades were an outside the home experience, semi-social gaming experience, often a place where responsible adults were not really all that welcome. The tension, the mental count of how many tokens you have left, watching the good players play, seeing the attract screens, dropping that quarter in and going for your personal best...maybe even getting your initials on the high score board. Good times.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 3rd, 2016, 11:46 pm

I miss the smokey pool halls too. As a teen I was rarely at home. Always hanging out at the arcades and pool halls. Now they are all gone. Where do kids even hang out nowadays? Coffee shops?

Return to “Classic Gaming”