What happened to 2d

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
zetax

Re: What happened to 2d

Postby zetax » May 31st, 2016, 11:15 pm

What about games like Muramasa and Dragon's Crown? BlazBlue? Alien Hominid? Battle Fantasia? Akai Katana and Deathsmiles? Rayman Legends? High-sellers? Probably not. Fun, well made, modern 2D games? Heck yeah!

Voor

Postby Voor » June 1st, 2016, 7:52 am

jon wrote:My point is that there are genres that don't exist anymore. There were manic 2d action games on the Genesis and Neo Geo. Then we saw a few here and there on the Saturn and Dreamcast, and then nothing. For example, there literally hasn't been a fast paced 2d run and gun shooter since the 4th generation.

I see what you mean there. It's just natural for new systems to focus on games that push them as far as they can go. And for this generation, unfortunately, that's 3D. But it's not like great 2D games are made anymore, it's just that you aren't going to see movie-trailer like ads for them.

Back in the 90s, showing off a system's capabilities meant fast processing, colorful graphics, crazy explosions...all in 2D.....because that was the limit. I guess there were some FPS styled games, but the SNES/Gen obviously couldn't handle it well, so they focused on what they could do well. Just natural.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 1st, 2016, 9:33 am

Voor wrote: I see what you mean there. It's just natural for new systems to focus on games that push them as far as they can go. And for this generation, unfortunately, that's 3D. But it's not like great 2D games are made anymore, it's just that you aren't going to see movie-trailer like ads for them.

Good points.

If for this generation, 3D is the cutting edge, what about true 3D - as in stereoscopic 3D like in the 3DS or in 3D movies where you wear polarized glasses? Or Virtual Reality? Or split screen couch co-op requires better specs than online play, and that's fading away.

I think the 3D of today's games is durable enough that neither stereoscopic 3D or VR will dislodge it (and split screen dying off), but 3D is only arguably cutting edge today, and certainly won't be cutting edge in the years to come. Its not all about cutting edge. I think Jon's argument is the same for 2D.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 1st, 2016, 3:54 pm

zetax wrote:What about games like Muramasa and Dragon's Crown? BlazBlue? Alien Hominid? Battle Fantasia? Akai Katana and Deathsmiles? Rayman Legends? High-sellers? Probably not. Fun, well made, modern 2D games? Heck yeah!

You and Rev make good points. There are also 2D games like Fez (indie / 2012), Henry Hatsworth (EA / 2009), Rayman Origins (Ubisoft / 2011), Braid (Indie / 2009), Super Meat Boy (indie / 2010), Cave Story (indie / 2004), La-Mulana (indie / 2005) that may not have set sales records, but find a notable fanbase at least.

Looks like 2D is doing just fine, between big companies and small, mobile, PC and console. I too like a certain style of gameplay, and as long as new ones keep getting made, I'm good with that. I don't need my particular niche to be the top selling AAA mass marketed low risk games.

Hardcore Sadism

Postby Hardcore Sadism » June 2nd, 2016, 2:15 am

I don't think someone who flat out slammed the most colorful 3D platform (Yooka Kaylee) since, well, the past few generations is ever going to be impressed by whatever 2D breakthrough is down the pipeline.

But that's none of my business. *sips water*

JWK

Postby JWK » June 3rd, 2016, 12:53 am

When Jon posts, I've seen a trend of him ignoring responses from people. It's the reason why so many modern 2d games have been listed here and his response is "yeah, there's just no more 2d games," as though he didn't read the suggestions given or didn't bother looking the games up. This isn't new, however. How many times has he been corrected on things like "the SNES couldn't handle more than a couple sprites on screen at once" or "the PS1 only had terrible polygon games?" He still repeats that stuff every couple of months. I'd suggest saving your breath.

Besides, thinking a dedicated 2D home console being successful? Not gonna happen. Games? Sure. But not a console. The Saturn is, in my opinion, Sega's best system. It was an absolute beast in 2d: SF Alpha 3, Gradius Gaiden, Galactic Attack, Vampire Savior, Elevator Action Returns, etc. All of those games were mostly arcade perfect. But if the Saturn wasn't successful in 1995 what makes you think it would work so much better in 2016?

Besides there are dozens and dozens of 2d games that I play all the time. Great ones. Next week Vanillaware is releasing a remaster of Odin Sphere on PS4 and Vita. Despite being a (gorgeous) hand-drawn Sprite-based game, it will be a full priced game, getting a retail release... the works. IGN just gave it a 9.4. Grand Kingdom is a 2d strategy game releasing this summer on PS4 and it's also Sprite-based, hand drawn animations, full $59.99 price tag. 2D isn't dead. It's also not as expensive as you're making it sound. 2013's Dragons Crown-- hey! Another modern 2d game!-- cost a mere $1M to make. Compare that to the reported $100M it took Irrational to make Bioshock Infinite.

jon

Postby jon » June 4th, 2016, 10:27 pm

In a moment of brutal honesty, I'll admit that after looking at Akai Katana, I was wrong about big budget 2d shmups not being around. I'll even admit that I like the look of some of the enemies. However, I still think there are interesting things with lighting to spice up the 2d genre that aren't being done. Having said all of that, I still have not seen a fast paced 2d run and gun game referenced. And that was my absolute favorite genre, Contra and Metal Slug style games.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 4th, 2016, 11:25 pm

jon wrote: Having said all of that, I still have not seen a fast paced 2d run and gun game referenced. And that was my absolute favorite genre, Contra and Metal Slug style games.

Postby ActRaiser » May 30th, 2016, 9:50 am

Has anyone played Broforce on the PS4?

It's a 2D Contra style game with a dose of Metal Slug as you capture POWs that then unlock Action Stars from the 80s and 90s, such as, Rambo, Chuck Norris, McGuyver, T2 Arnold, etc.

It's almost as if the 10 year old me made a game combined with destructible environments. 4 Player drop in/drop out local play and online.

So...my point is what on earth are you guys complaining about. There's a ton of 2D games available that couldn't have been done on prior systems. If you look a bit online you'll find a lot of fun, innovative games.

The best part, these types of download games often go on sale. Heck, my copy of Broforce was free from being a PlayStation Plus subscriber.

JWK

Postby JWK » June 5th, 2016, 1:58 am

There's like a half dozen 2d Contra games released since the 16 bit era. Shattered Soldier (PS2), Neo Contra (PS2)-- isometric, but still 2d-- Contra 4 (DS), Contra ReBirth (WiiWare). Hard Corps Uprising is a sequel (of sorts) to the Genesis game, has excellent hand drawn sprites from Arc System Works (Guilty Gear-- hey ANOTHER modern 2D series) and classic Contra gameplay.

Jon, there's tons of this stuff. I recognize you prefer retro gaming, but you have a brave new world of 2d goodness you're simply not aware of. Only if you want it.

jon

Postby jon » June 5th, 2016, 2:36 pm

I'll admit, I was wrong JWK. Shattered Soldier is probably by far the best out of the ones you mentioned. That's the type of game I was talking about. Hards Corps Uprising has really good graphics but has sort of wierd gameplay. But back to Shattered Soldier, that's the type of game I'm talking about. I have no idea if it's good or not, and the VGC seems not to like it, but that's the idea I want expanded on.

Return to “Classic Gaming”