What happened to 2d

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: What happened to 2d

Postby scotland » June 8th, 2016, 2:12 pm

jon wrote:I'll admit, I was wrong JWK. Shattered Soldier is probably by far the best out of the ones you mentioned. That's the type of game I was talking about. Hards Corps Uprising has really good graphics but has sort of wierd gameplay. But back to Shattered Soldier, that's the type of game I'm talking about. I have no idea if it's good or not, and the VGC seems not to like it, but that's the idea I want expanded on.

Plus one to you, Jon. You modified your opinion, and found a game or two to enjoy.

Wallyworld

Postby Wallyworld » June 11th, 2016, 5:32 am

Mighty number 9 is looking like it will be really good. 2d Run N Gun in the same vein as Mega Man. It's been delayed to hell and back but it's coming out soon and looks great.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 15th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Have you guys seen the trailer for the new Shantea game? It looks great and is getting a physical release (even on the Wii U)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfc7VHv2uFc

I believe Cuphead gets released this year too for the Xbox One. That looks freaking amazing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 15th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Wow! This is what I've been talking about - old school action in gorgeous HD!

Voor

Postby Voor » June 15th, 2016, 6:48 pm

The thing is is that the classic 2d platformer formula almost always works as long as it controls well and has some unique twist, which doesn't even have to be a big deal. Mega man and the Mario bros are a good example of this.

I think responsive controls and solid level design always works and will sell well.

jon

Postby jon » June 15th, 2016, 8:27 pm

I was reminiscing about being a kid and going over to my friends' houses for sleepovers and playing baseball games on the NES. Those were some great times. I cant imagine replaying that over again but with modern games, they lack the pick up and play feel of those games. I was thinking, I grew up at a great time for video games, right when the NES was getting popular.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 16th, 2016, 4:57 pm

Jon,
You make a good point. Most of use have lived through several generations of video games, including the pinnacle of 2D games and the rise of 3D. Some of us are even old enough to remember the original home video game systems of the late 70's.
If I was a kid today and my first system was a PS4, I don't know if I'd be as enthused.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 16th, 2016, 7:13 pm

Our hobby has lots of facets, but I always thought enjoying video games with friends was one the highlights. Playing in the arcades with friends, talking with friends about the konami code, sitting on the floor with a buddy playing Joust or Mortal Kombat or Goldeneye or whatever. As gaming continues to tilt to online multjplayer (and VR may accelerate this), something really fun - gaming with a buddy in the same room - is being neglected.

Course thats just my idle opinion, so feel free to tell me differently.

Return to “Classic Gaming”