Dreamcast MP3 player

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Dreamcast MP3 player

Postby scotland » July 5th, 2016, 5:06 pm

There is an article on http://www.seganerds.com about unreleased Dreamcast peripherals like a DVD player (which probably would not have sold well anyway), but how about a VMU MP3 player. Given this was the Golden Age of Napster, and the ipod did not yet dominate the market, that's kinda neat. There was also a Zip drive under consideration, so together, that might have been interesting.

Shapur

Re: Dreamcast MP3 player

Postby Shapur » July 8th, 2016, 3:11 am

MP3 - Meh. Given the cost of flash, it probably would have been like 32 megabytes. Too small to really hold a lot of songs. The IPod was great when it came out becasue it had a hard drive and could really store a whole music collection.

Zip Dive - Sweet. I wish I had this. If nothing else I wouldn't have had to buy so many VMU's just to store my saves. 1 Zip disk could hold as much as several hundred VMU's

DVD player - It looks like a DVD player that contains a DC. I'd hoped they were going to release a DVD player that attached to an existing Dreamcast. I bought my first DVD player in 2000 for like 200 bucks. If Sega could have undercut that price I would have bought an add on for sure. In hindsight I wish they had released that DVD player because it might be possible to buy a Dreamcast that would last more than a couple years before the disc drive fails.

Return to “Classic Gaming”