6th Gen Love

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
LoganRuckman

6th Gen Love

Postby LoganRuckman » July 24th, 2016, 6:14 pm

So, a few years ago, you may remember the 5th Gen Love thread I started. Well, I've been feeling a lot of nostalgia for the 6th Generation the last few years and decided to create a sequel of sorts to that thread. I have a lot of fond memories playing the GameCube and GBA as a kid. I grew up with the N64, but the GCN is the first console I grew up on with my little brother. From Super Smash Bros. Melee to Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door to The Legend Of Zelda: The Wind Waker to Soul Calibur II, we had a blast playing the Purple Lunchbox. The GBA was also great, the best handheld ever in my opinion. I also have fond memories of playing games like Halo on Xbox and Grand Theft Auto San Andreas on PS2. Overall, I feel that the 6th Generation was a wonderful era for gaming, and easily deserving of an appreciation thread.

matmico399

Re: 6th Gen Love

Postby matmico399 » July 24th, 2016, 10:52 pm

I think the 4th gen and 6th gen were the best years ever for home gaming. You can take away all my systems but leave my Genesis and PS2 alone! Or I'll hurt ya!

shootingstar

Postby shootingstar » July 26th, 2016, 10:11 pm

In my opinion, the 6th gen was the last great generation for video games. It was the last generation before DLC, patches, glitchy games, installs, forced online, etc. took over the industry. And more on a personal taste side, it was the last generation that didn't overdo it on FPS and open world games. Unfortunately I don't feel I appreciated the generation back in those days as much as I should have. I guess it's true what they say, you don't know what you have until it's gone.

JWK

Postby JWK » July 27th, 2016, 4:55 pm

The 6th generation was pretty unique in that we had FOUR home consoles that were worth owning. You may be one of the few that held a torch for something like the 3DO, but most gamers would agree that there were mostly 3 front runners in previous generations.

The Dreamcast launched at a half way point and had the opportunity to be an innovator in so many things. VGA support led to the first home console to do 480p for most games. Online gaming for home consoles started here... at BLAZING 56K!! The system was filled to the brim with arcade games, racing games, and other more traditional games. But Sega were the mad scientists of the industry and compromised nothing with releases like Typing Of the Dead, Seaman, Sega Bass/Marine Fishing, and Samba de Amigo. While the systems shooters unfortunately strayed from the Saturn's beautiful sprites, it housed some classics in the genre: Ikaruga, Border Down and Zero Gunner 2. And the Dreamcast has, in my opinion, the greatest library of 2D fighters in history: Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, Garou: Mark of the Wolves, King of Fighters 98 - 2002, Jo Jo's Bizzare Adventure, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Vampire Chronicles, Super Street Fighter 2X, Marvel vs Capcom, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Capcom vs SNK 1 & 2 and The Last Blade 2. Just make sure you buy a Saturn-to-Dreamcast adapter or buy the Dreamcast fight stick, because the stock controller is GARBAGE for fighting games.

The Xbox furthered online gaming, made Master Chief into a household name and ended the generation as the most powerful home console ever... up to that point. Multiplayer generally ran better than on either GameCube or PS2 and is incredibly fun to collect for.

The PS2 had one thing the Dreamcast didn't. A DVD player. It turned the tide early in the generation. But the system still had a great library. For the 6th generation, it's easily my go-to JRPG machine: Final Fantasy X, Ar Tonelico, Dragon Quest 8, Persona 3 & 4, Shadow Hearts, Drak Cloud, Rogue Galaxy, Kingdom Hearts, Tales of the Abyss, SMT3: Nocturne, Odin Sphere, Valkyrie Profile 2 and Suikoden V. It stands with the SNES and PS1 as the best System for RPGs ever.

The GameCube was Nintendo's (presumably) last foray into combining Nintendo' classic charm with beefy hardware specs. Under the goofy lunchbox (complete with handle!) and the oddly popular controller (which I've never liked) was a system that could push polygons to make incredibly beautiful visuals and deep gameplay experiences: Wind Waker, Twin Snakes, Viewtiful Joe, Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, Baiten Kaitos Origins. Though I own less Gcn games than the other 6th gen systems, the 30+ games I have are all winners and still incredibly fun.

Return to “Classic Gaming”