Best N64 games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
ptdebate

Best N64 games?

Postby ptdebate » July 31st, 2016, 7:49 pm

As I continue in my odyssey to play every single N64 game (I recently acquired an Everdrive), I wanted to know your opinions on what the best games are for Nintendo's first 3D system.

Here's mine (so far):

Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
This might be my favorite racer of all time. Blisteringly fast, set in varied and intricate locales, and featuring high-quality sound effects from the movie.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
I prefer the Master Quest edition that I was able to find online.
Perfect Dark
Endless amount of content in this game and very impressive graphics.
Paper Mario
Finely tuned gameplay, excellent graphics and music, and a charming story.
Ogre Battle 64
Who said the N64 had no RPGs?
Mario Tennis
Extremely entertaining in multiplayer settings. Simple but timeless formula.
Super Smash Bros
I still prefer the original.
Bangai-O
One of the few 2D games on the system, this is a shooter classic.

JWK

Re: Best N64 games?

Postby JWK » July 31st, 2016, 10:35 pm

You've stated many of my own picks. Including my #1 on N64, Paper Mario. My other choices:

Mario Kart 64 - I'll be the first to admit it hasn't aged well, but my high school years were rooted in MP matches.

Majora's Mask - Easily the most unusual and risky 3D Zelda game.

Doom 64 - Deliciously rooted in the series' retro roots, it's aged far better than both Golden Eye and Turok.

NBA Hang Time - Sure, it's not as well known as Midway's predecessor NBA Jam, but it's actually a much better game.

Super Mario 64 - An obvious choice, but it was a revelation in its time and is still pretty fun today.

Star Fox 64 - One of, if not the best rail shooters of all time.

Voor

Postby Voor » July 31st, 2016, 10:37 pm

Well, you have to include Mario 64 and Goldeneye. Mario Kart 64, Smash, and the Zeldas (though I didn't play them much) are also required.

Honestly, those games were all I really had.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 1st, 2016, 1:02 pm

No love for Body Harvest? :(

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 1st, 2016, 2:31 pm

Robotrek wrote:No love for Body Harvest? :(

I remember hearing about that one! I may give it a go later. Any tips for playing?

Also, has anyone tried Hybrid Heaven?

ESauce

Postby ESauce » August 1st, 2016, 5:08 pm

I got Hybrid Heaven with a bundle of games recently. I found it really bland in about every way. Now, I will grant that I probably spent less than an hour with it, but I just didn't feel like it had much to offer.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 1st, 2016, 5:39 pm

Any of you guys played Baku Bomberman? It's a proper, top down bomberman game for the N64 that only came out in Japan. It's awesome! I'm not sure whether or not it supports more than 4 players though because the menus are in Japanese.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » August 1st, 2016, 8:43 pm

At the moment, my favorites are Star Fox 64, Paper Mario (even if the 2nd game is way better), Blast Corps, Beetle Adventure Racing, San Francisco Rush, Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye, Banjo Kazooie, and NFL Blitz.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 1st, 2016, 2:32 pm

This is a tough one because there are two ways to answer it, What were the best games to play at the time and What are the best games to play today? I'll say this much, Golden Eye and Mario Kart 64 with a group of friends (plus being young and the joy of just hanging out) are still to this day some of my best gaming memories.

Such a great time before the internet and social media took over the collective stream of human consciousness... and being in the same room with other people meant, if you knew them, that everyone was actually paying attention to one another.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 1st, 2016, 7:14 pm

I watched someone on twitch play Golden Eye Source (steam) the other day. It's pretty faithful to the original, but of course had online multiplayer. Looked like a lot of fun, and I think I'd prefer it to more modern games with all their bells and whistles.

Return to “Classic Gaming”