Best N64 games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Voor

Re: Best N64 games?

Postby Voor » September 1st, 2016, 7:36 pm

I watched someone on twitch play Golden Eye Source (steam) the other day. It's pretty faithful to the original, but of course had online multiplayer. Looked like a lot of fun, and I think I'd prefer it to more modern games with all their bells and whistles.

jon

Postby jon » September 1st, 2016, 10:26 pm

I'll second NFL Blitz, which although it sold reasonably well, is never really talked about, at least the N64 version. I always crack up when I see how good Ryan Leaf is in this game. But this game really showcases what the N64 is all about, fast paced, smooth gameplay. I think it's an important game for the N64 because it didn't have a great sports library. It fills a void.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » September 2nd, 2016, 11:15 pm

Adding the N64 version of Hydro Thunder. Just bought it, and it's amazing. The amount of air you get in this game is insane, and the overall smooth frame rate and detail is remarkable for a cartridge version of a game this size.

Also FINALLY got Perfect Dark, which I am also enjoying. Controls are good, missions are smart, but the highlight is the damn music. Best soundtrack on the console? Maybe, it's up there.
Last edited by Retrology on September 16th, 2016, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

twilighthotel

Postby twilighthotel » September 3rd, 2016, 11:15 am

Since the other favorites were already mentioned, the system does include the best version of Resident Evil 2 that you are likely to play.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 3rd, 2016, 5:27 pm

Perfect dark is a game I wish I had invested more time in. For whatever reason, I never really gave it a chance, which is weird because I loved goldeneye, and PD was supposed to be the spiritual successor to it

jon

Postby jon » September 10th, 2016, 12:22 am

I feel like with Perfect Dark I should have given it a chance. I was so mad that they didn't make it a Bond game, because I'm a huge fan. Then the lead character is a lady that I just couldn't relate to. Especially, after Goldeneye, playing James bond, and then next up is Joanna Dark. It really sucked. What a monumental letdown. My thinking was, are you kidding me? This is the sequel?Years later though, it's something I'd give a try. Especially considering how "immersive" modern gaming is.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 10th, 2016, 9:44 am

jon wrote:I feel like with Perfect Dark I should have given it a chance. I was so mad that they didn't make it a Bond game, because I'm a huge fan. Then the lead character is a lady that I just couldn't relate to. Especially, after Goldeneye, playing James bond, and then next up is Joanna Dark. It really sucked. What a monumental letdown. My thinking was, are you kidding me? This is the sequel?Years later though, it's something I'd give a try. Especially considering how "immersive" modern gaming is.

Are you telling me that you gave Perfect Dark a pass because you couldn't relate to a female protagonist? Why is the gender of the protagonist in an N64 game even significant?

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » September 10th, 2016, 1:32 pm

They had 3 different N64 consoles at this daycare I used to go to when I was a kid, so I have some very fond memories of the system. Some of my favorites there included:

Glover: This is perhaps one of my favorite games of all time.

Mario Kart 64: First Mario Kart I ever played.

Milo's Astro Lanes: A hidden gem IMO.

NASCAR 2000: Probably the reason why I became obsessed with NASCAR back in the day. R.I.P. Dale Earnhardt

NHL Breakaway 98: First hockey game I ever played.

Pokémon Stadium: Me and the other kids there would play it quite often.

Star Wars Episode I Racer: Unlike many of you, I have a soft spot for "The Phantom Menace", and this was the game that convinced me to buy it on VHS.

Super Mario 64: A real classic!

Super Smash Bros.: Out of all the multiplayer games we played there, this is the one we played the most. I always got my [expletive] kicked!

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: To be honest, I usually just watched the other kids play it 'cause it looked pretty tough! But it was pretty cool.

Tonic Trouble: Here's a hidden gem I'd like to see the Critic review. Ah, memories!

jon

Postby jon » September 10th, 2016, 11:44 pm

Perfect Dark was the sequel to Goldeneye and they didn't even continue the Bond theme. And I've always been a huge Bond fan. That was the reason I didn't give it a chance. I'm not even that big of a fan of the FPS genre so most of the allure of Goldeneye to me was that it was James Bond.

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » September 15th, 2016, 9:54 am

The N64 is one of my least favorite systems to revisit. The games don't hold up and a few of the heavy hitters I've never actually been very fond of (Mario 64). The two Zelda games are much better in later releases (GCN & 3DS)...and overall it's a pretty weak library. These are the few great games that come to mind.

Blast Corps
Space Station Silicon Valley
Star Fox 64
Doom 64
Dr. Mario 64
F-Zero X
International Superstar Soccer 64
Mario Tennis
Pilotwings 64
Wayne Gretsky's 3D Hockey
Beetle Adventure Racing
Robotron 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Smash Bros
Paper Mario

I'm sure there are a few more. But this is all I've got for now.

Return to “Classic Gaming”