SNES 25th anniversary

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

SNES 25th anniversary

Postby scotland » August 23rd, 2016, 3:12 pm

Any thoughts on the anniversary of the Super Nintendo, which launched in the US on Friday August 23rd, 1991. A Target ad has it for $199 with Super Mario World. Nintendo continued the brand identity they built with the NES, a new controller, and a strong competitor already in place.The 16 bit console war was soon to be on like Donkey Kong....Country.

Robotrek

Re: SNES 25th anniversary

Postby Robotrek » August 23rd, 2016, 3:43 pm

Hard to believe the damned thing came out so long ago! I remember not buying one until the next year, at first I was unenthused, but I grew to like the system. I still feel the Genesis was the superior system, but there's nothing wrong with the SNES. I remember a lot of people being pissed you couldn't play original NES games (I was one of them!), but it became successful anyway. The bet games for the system were DKC2 (2nd best platformer EVER), Super Mario World, ActRaiser, ActRaiser 2, and of course, Robotrek. The worst, were Rise of the Robots, Pit-Fighter, Congos Caper, Stunt Race FX, and Super Mario RPG.

One of the most iconic systems ever made.

JWK

Re: SNES 25th anniversary

Postby JWK » August 23rd, 2016, 10:42 pm

I remember looking at pictures of launch window games in Nintendo Power: Super Mario World, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Zelda 3, Castlevania IV, Super R-Type. I couldn't believe the colors and graphics. It looked too good to be true.

I made regular trips to ShopKo on my bike with friends or my older brother. I liked going to the electronics dept to look at music, stereo systems and games. And one day they had a kiosk with the SNES and Super Mario World. There was naturally a line to play it, but leaving without playing the game was not an option. When I played the first level and watched all those goombas in a row get knocked down by the turtle shell, I thought "this is it. This is the system I've been waiting for."

Fast forward to today and I still play the thing on a regular basis. I'm constantly discovering "new" games I missed during the system's life or playing fan-translations of Super Famicom RPGs. It's my dream system and my pick for the greatest video game console (and gaming library) of all-time.

Happy 25th Birthday, big guy!

Return to “Classic Gaming”