Happy 20th Birthday to the N64

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Happy 20th Birthday to the N64

Postby scotland » September 23rd, 2016, 9:24 am

Happy 20th birthday to Project Reality / Nintendo Ultra 64 / Nintendo 64!

The console of many a Millennial's wasted youth playing Super Mario 64 or Golden Eye. The last of the great ROM cartridge based home consoles, with the unusual but innovative controller, it would go on to sell about 33 million units worldwide (about 2/3rd of what the SNES sold worldwide). It even came in a variety of colors.

Any N64 memories - good or bad - anyone wants to share?

Retrology

Re: Happy 20th Birthday to the N64

Postby Retrology » September 23rd, 2016, 9:38 am

I remembered a little after I had gotten the N64 my babysitters let me have 2 additional controllers (4 total), an expansion pak, Super Mario 64, and Mario Kart 64. I had immediately played Mario 64, got the strategy guide for it, and it redefined my childhood. I figured out all of the tips and tricks from Mario 64 from that strategy guide, it was amazing. MK64 also defined my childhood.

I remember playing Smash Bros at my friend's house around when it came out. I had never seen anything like it before, no one did, and I bought it immediately. Words can't express how much time was spent with friends kicking the crap out of those furry animals.

When I had gotten Paper Mario, my mom asked me "You sure it's not similar to that Mario 64 game you like?" I went by my guts and bought it, and it was my favorite game back then (still is an old favorite today). Music brings back a lot of memories as well as awesome quests.

Mario Party, Mario Tennis and the 2 Pokemon Stadium games especially got so much playing time back in the day. I have more, but you get the idea.

Love it or hate it, I thought the N64 was a special console, one that truly got me into gaming. I've waned a bit on many of the action-adventure/platforming games for the system, but thankfully the console has plenty of classic arcade style titles for me to play. It might not be the best console ever, but it's the one I come back to the most.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 26th, 2016, 3:50 pm

The cool thing about the 64, was that I had had a very small library of games, but those had GREAT replay ability. It was kind of the first "party" system.

Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Smash Bros
golden eye
NWO Revenge

The weirdest thing was that I really enjoyed arcade sports games and platformers on the SNES, but because of the emergence of 3D, that wasn't really available on the 64. Still, I enjoyed the heck out of the system.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » September 26th, 2016, 6:11 pm

NOW it's the 20th birthday. The post was a bit premature (giggles), but nevertheless happy birthday to a revolutionary console.

tortimer

Postby tortimer » September 29th, 2016, 1:20 pm

I remember playing Turok the Dinosaur Hunter and thinking how neat the fog effect was.

I remember getting the RAM pak but can't recall why or what it did.

I quit playing Ocarina of Time after getting hopelessly stuck on the Water Dungeon, only to finally beat it (for the first time in my life many years later - 3DS version).

Somehow I never had any clue that Paper Mario or Smash Bros. even existed until their sequels came out on GameCube.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » October 8th, 2016, 3:05 am

Had and still have one. It has some fantastic games, but the actual hardware is so stupid - maybe it can draw more polygons than the PlayStation, but the texture memory is a joke (and the expansion pack doesn't make stock-hardware games any less blurry), and the cartridge medium severely hobbles the sound and precludes video. Even the controller, revolutionary as its little stick was, is weird and stunted. It's like the designers had some kind of compulsion to counter every groundbreaking pro with a really dumb con.

Regardless of all that, the power supply is still cool as heck.
Last edited by Stalvern on October 14th, 2016, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2016, 1:48 pm

People talk about the N64 like it was so revolutionary but I think the Playstation (PS1) was more of a transformative console.

I like the big N64 controller but the fact that so many games rely on the expansion pack tells me the system could have been better designed to begin with. I can't believe Nintendo even got away with this considering Sega's disastrous history with add-ons.

One downfall is that the N64 era is when Nintendo began to hemorrhage third party support - a problem that would continue to the present day.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 10th, 2016, 2:39 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:People talk about the N64 like it was so revolutionary but I think the Playstation (PS1) was more of a transformative console.

I like the big N64 controller but the fact that so many games rely on the expansion pack tells me the system could have been better designed to begin with. I can't believe Nintendo even got away with this considering Sega's disastrous history with add-ons.

One downfall is that the N64 era is when Nintendo began to hemorrhage third party support - a problem that would continue to the present day.

I think it was revolutionary in terms of 3D graphics and the FPS genre. Everything else it offered was "meh" and was done better elsewhere. The graphic capability (for the time) was top notch, but the media format was a poor choice. Had they made it disc based that was 64 bit, it would have been a game changer.
Last edited by Rookie1 on October 11th, 2016, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » October 10th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Super Mario 64 was one of the most revolutionary of all time, evolving 3D further than almost anything before. The N64 was also the first console that treated 4 player as a premier feature rather than an afterthought, with its four controller ports as opposed to multitaps. The N64 was just as revolutionary as the PS1.

Happy 20th to perhaps my personal favorite console.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 11th, 2016, 6:18 am

LoganRuckman wrote:Super Mario 64 was one of the most revolutionary of all time, evolving 3D further than almost anything before. The N64 was also the first console that treated 4 player as a premier feature rather than an afterthought, with its four controller ports as opposed to multitaps. The N64 was just as revolutionary as the PS1.

Happy 20th to perhaps my personal favorite console.

Thats true, I forgot about the 4 player action. That was really cool back in the day, and made for some of the best multiplayer fun I had ever had. Heck, I dont think other systems adopted the non multitap multiplayer until the PS3 and 360 came out with wireless controllers that didnt suck.

Though the 3DO did have an interesting multiplayer capability utilizing a daisy chain expansion port on the controllers.

Return to “Classic Gaming”