Photos of people playing home video games from way back

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
lynchie137

Re: Photos of people playing home video games from way back

Postby lynchie137 » November 16th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Forget 1080p, many of us began with the retired black and white television. This looks like a modern photo, but it captures the feel.

LOL!!! That exactly what I had to play games on when I was a kid. The folks wouldn't let me hook my 2600 up to the color TV, so this was all I had. And if my memory serves me correctly, the Zenith B&W TV shown in the pic above was the same exact model I used to play my 2600 games on. I believe it also had a headphone jack on the side as well, which came in handy when I wanted to play games at night without waking up my parents. :lol:
Last edited by lynchie137 on November 17th, 2016, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » November 16th, 2016, 8:30 pm

Awesome thread.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 17th, 2016, 1:43 pm

Dapper 1970s fashion guy with slick mustache playing Morgan Fairchild in Pong before they head out to roller boogie. Notice the gun. I am sure its a light gun, but looks good enough to hold up a liquor store with it.

Doesn't get older then two professionals demostrating SpaceWar on a PDP. Notice I say 'demonstrating' as it doesn't look like play. Way to make it boring, guys.

Concentrate...concentrate...and don't look left or that fan will shred your tongue

Its some musical game on an Apple, but a photo from some early 80s computer lab. The hair! These two might have grown up to form Wyld Stallions, but I am guessing that in the 80s they never went roller boogie'ing with Morgan Fairchild.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 20th, 2016, 12:18 pm

The Joy of NES

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » November 20th, 2016, 1:18 pm

Scottland, these pictures you're posting are making me ooze sentimental feelings. It's unbelievable just how far gaming has come.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 20th, 2016, 3:09 pm

I agree I just luv this thread.

scotland

Postby scotland » November 20th, 2016, 5:13 pm

Hurrah for Atari and the Smurfs!

Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoy your Sunkist and Super Mario Bros 3!

How long did it take you to find the scary clown?

Nothing like playing your Darth Vader Atari in the Dark!

scotland

Postby scotland » November 23rd, 2016, 12:27 pm

This picture is ageless

scotland

Postby scotland » November 29th, 2016, 10:05 am

This pictures just seems to evoke memories of guys hanging out casually, laughing and gaming. Nice mustaches, guys. I don't think its just coffee in that guy's cup. If he sat on the couch, he would blend right in - couch camo! The game cartridge is really standing out white - same color as the coffee cup - and tall, anyone got any idea of what they may be playing? Its two players, if that helps.

I love this picture. That Sony television set really is iconic of the console tvs of yesteryears. If you look close, you'll see it has a fold up and away cover, so you can cover up the tv and the console looks like a piece of furniture. How different is that from today where the tv is huge and the focal point of the room. And this kid has a great 70s shirt, something Keith Partridge would wear, with the big collars. Its also a brand new right out of the plastic wrap shirt, based on the press lines. It has features of being an advertisement, but I am not sure it is. Most of the ads of the day would be more orchestrated, and probably had an adult in the ad. Wow, even the shoes are perfect. Maybe just dressed for christmas...

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » November 29th, 2016, 8:39 pm

[quote="scotland"]This pictures just seems to evoke memories of guys hanging out casually, laughing and gaming. Nice mustaches, guys. I don't think its just coffee in that guy's cup. If he sat on the couch, he would blend right in - couch camo! The game cartridge is really standing out white - same color as the coffee cup - and tall, anyone got any idea of what they may be playing? Its two players, if that helps.

Well, going by the white cartridge and the console in the pic, I'm gonna have to guess that they were playing either Carnival or Zaxxon. I had these two games when I was a kid, among other white coloured carts, and as far as I know, they were the only ones I had that had the two player option. Could be wrong, though.....

And yes, those are awesome moustaches.

Return to “Classic Gaming”