Photos of people playing home video games from way back

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Photos of people playing home video games from way back

Postby scotland » October 5th, 2016, 6:42 pm

Photos that are just nostalgia food:

Check out some details: Lego Space on the floor, a hotwheels track, and rabbit ears on tbe television. Looks like a Colecovision (in a red tray?) but I don't recognize the game.

This looks like an ad for the Channel F, although I don't see the console.

That console television is terrific. The rope chair, the tv tray, the moms hair...and the girl looks like she took Mork from Ork's costume. TV dad there needs to work on his excited face.

matmico399

Re: Photos of people playing home video games from way back

Postby matmico399 » October 5th, 2016, 9:09 pm

scotland

Postby scotland » October 5th, 2016, 9:50 pm

The Atari commercial is great. The actor rings a bell as some character actor of the day. I like the obvious VCR scan lines, and the high tech ending of the boxes flying out of the woefully small tv. Total nostalgia food.

They were using having 30 game cartridges as being better than the rest. Pretty thin libraries back then. They definitely called them cartridges too. I see it mentions Chess in 1979, which was brand new, but I don't think would move many units. Still pre Space Invaders, when the 2600 would really take off.

"Oh boy, skydiver!" - put that quote in things you never hear today.

Here is an Atari VCS video from holiday 1977, when they just had the launch titles. The language is tricky, as they count Combat as 27 games. Notice the pitch is comedic, and to adults. The comedic actor was in a 70s saturday morning live action show called Far Out Spacenuts, and yes, far out was double entendre.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YJNbhekKShI

scotland

Postby scotland » October 6th, 2016, 8:33 am

Pong.I think it may be a Coleco Telstar. Dig the wallpaper. Check out the groovy paisley shirt, the hair and mustaches. There were lots of pong machines, but why did some make us sit cheek to cheek, and thats if one of you is a leftie.

Is that a toy whale on the table? Oh, its a shark. Its a Jaws game! The 70s, what a trip.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 6th, 2016, 7:32 pm

This thread is right up my alley. I can really dig it man. Thanks fer sharin.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 7th, 2016, 6:05 am

An Odyssey 2 ... and an incredibly unsafe baby walker.

The Oyssey 2, and one of the three pack-in games, Speedway. I think the O2 kept the same pack in cartridge through its run.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 7th, 2016, 6:21 am

One of the earlier home Pong consoles from 1976. It was so exciting, these guys have ignored all the unopened gifts in the back. Pong was definitely a plug and play, except it looks like a battery powered console. Break out the D cell batteries boys, and we'll buy an AC adapter from Radio Shack after the holidays.

Check out the Pat Shroeder for Congress poster. That would make this Colorado. There is a second wire going over the presents that has me concerned. Where is that going?

Teddybear

Postby Teddybear » October 7th, 2016, 7:02 am

These are awesome pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had totally forgotten about that plastic Jaws game (where you had to carefully pick out little pieces of garbage the shark "swallowed" from his bottom jaw before his mouth closed shut.)

Seeing that long lost toy has made my Friday morning!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

scotland

Postby scotland » October 7th, 2016, 9:19 am

And here looks like Berzerk on Radio Shack TRS 80....which I can tell from the clean white T-shirts that say TRS 80.

And Space Invaders on a TRS 80. is that an Apple ][ ? Anyone identify the adventure game? My guess is one of the Scott Adams games, because the guy in this photo is Scott Adams himself.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 18th, 2016, 9:59 pm

Notice the caption remarking on 'scrolling'

I don't know what this event is, but that tee shirt is great

Eat your heart out N64, four person pong rules

Grooviest video game ad ever. Atari Combat seems to make people in love, american style.

Return to “Classic Gaming”