Super Mario bros record broken

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Voor

Super Mario bros record broken

Postby Voor » October 6th, 2016, 10:10 pm

Just last night. He got it by less than .5 seconds. Awesome

https://youtu.be/j8CHsUFsi1A

snakeboy

Re: Super Mario bros record broken

Postby snakeboy » October 6th, 2016, 11:08 pm

Man, that guy is terrible. He must never have played Super Mario Bros. before because there was a ton of power ups and 1ups that he missed.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » October 7th, 2016, 8:50 am

I have watched this guy break his records over and over again. Each time thinking there is no way he can do it faster. And then he does. Thats crazy,

Sut

Postby Sut » October 7th, 2016, 10:17 am

snakeboy wrote:Man, that guy is terrible. He must never have played Super Mario Bros. before because there was a ton of power ups and 1ups that he missed.

:lol:

Voor

Postby Voor » October 7th, 2016, 7:23 pm

21,000+ attempts. That's the scariest part of the whole thing if you ask me.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 8th, 2016, 7:22 am

Wow... 21,000+... Oh dear... Even if he only played for a minute each attempt, that is still a crazy amount of time put into it.

TimPossible

Postby TimPossible » October 9th, 2016, 8:21 am

That is no record in my opinion. He is playing some type of emulator and I see all types of glitches when he is playing that. Jumping off walls. Hammers missing him. Landing on plants. You play the real game and do that I will be impressed not some emulator glitch bs fest.

Rev

Postby Rev » October 9th, 2016, 9:45 am

You do know that everything he did was perfectly legit in the nes super Mario broS. Speed runners typically spend hundreds (if not thousands) of hours learning about all the ins and outs of a game to shave off as much time as possible during their run... The original super Mario bros is glitchy and even without trying I've done a lot of those things before...

Voor

Postby Voor » October 9th, 2016, 12:48 pm

TimPossible wrote:That is no record in my opinion. He is playing some type of emulator and I see all types of glitches when he is playing that. Jumping off walls. Hammers missing him. Landing on plants. You play the real game and do that I will be impressed not some emulator glitch bs fest.

Those glitches are in the original cartridge. Of course, you have to get your movement/jumps pixel-perfect to do them all right in a single run, hence the 21,000 attempts.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 9th, 2016, 12:49 pm

TimPossible wrote:That is no record in my opinion. He is playing some type of emulator and I see all types of glitches when he is playing that. Jumping off walls. Hammers missing him. Landing on plants. You play the real game and do that I will be impressed not some emulator glitch bs fest.

I'm pretty sure it's not even considered a legitimate speedrun unless it is played on either the original hardware or an official emulated version (like the NIntendo Virtual Console). People take these records seriously and won't allow someone to submit an emulated run. Any glitches he exploits are built into the code of the original game (for instance, the hitbox on the plant sprite doesn't go all the way to the top of the sprite).

Congratulations to him for the all the hard work on a game that's already been optimized further then anyone already thought was humanly possible. I just recently watched a runner that goes by Feasel get the world record for the NES Final Fantasy in 3 hours, 6 minutes and change in Any % with Resets category - he used saves and resets to skip some overworld battles and manipulate the monster counter - but he also has the world record in Any % No Resets, which doesn't allow the same level of control.

Return to “Classic Gaming”