Photos of old arcade games

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
scotland

Re: Photos of old arcade games

Postby scotland » December 14th, 2017, 8:04 am

https://retrobitch.wordpress.com/2017/12/12/original-80s-time-out-arcade-found-in-a-dead-mall-in-virginia/

In an odd bit of timing, workers rediscovered an old Time-Out arcade in the closed down Crossroads Mall in Roanoke, Virginia the other day. This blog has both pictures of what they found, and some photos of the past. As the blogger writes, someone took the Time-Out sign for themselves, so somewhere there is a man-cave with a new sign.

The Crossroads Mall was built in the early 1960s, one of the first in Virginia. It fell on seriously hard times, and like many malls, closed down years ago. For a time, it was just low rent office space, but eventually it was shuttered completely. At some point, someone may have walled up the old arcade - I don't quite follow the story, but the Time-Out went out of business in the 1990s yet you can see its all like they just moved out the machines the other day.

timeout closed.JPG
timeout closed.JPG (36.84 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 14th, 2017, 8:21 am

Love the angle on that pic. Kinda creepy/cool; perfect for an abandoned mall.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » December 18th, 2017, 3:44 pm

I do hope that mall's not torn down. I can't find any current info on it. :(

Back to arcade games:

http://www.pelikonepeijoonit.net/articl ... y-atari-st

Here's something interesting; it's an Atari ST powered arcade cabinet, apparently designed to run a trivia game. Not a bad idea, tho I would've liked a different game.

scotland

Postby scotland » December 18th, 2017, 4:05 pm

That is bizarre to have an arcade cabinet run by an Atari ST - its still even in its case! Yeah, based on the button layout, it was probably running a trivia game. Rip that out and put in a keyboard and flight stick and run some Flight Simulator or something.

Return to “Classic Gaming”