Policenauts (Sega Saturn)

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Rev

Re: Policenauts (Sega Saturn)

Postby Rev » November 10th, 2016, 10:26 pm

Finished Policenauts tonight. I really enjoyed the game and the game definitely picked up by Act 3. The game takes about 12-14 hours to complete depending on how meticulous you are with clicking things. For the first 6 hours or so I was very careful with clicking on the scenery but by the second half I was clicking much faster through the environment and skimming a lot more of the technical speak. I think I found the game more enjoyable by cutting out all the technical jargon and instead focusing more on the core story. As for the story, it was very solid although I would have to agree with JWK that it is incredibly preachy (especially Acts 4-7) about humans not belonging in space. I get it... space is bad... mmm'kay.... Still, that aside I really liked all the characters and they all felt real. Definitely a great game but I think I like Snatcher a bit more since it was less preachy and more to the point. Great game nonetheless.

Now for the interactive portions of the game. There were two types- the bomb defusing section and the gun portions. I really liked the bomb defusing sections as the first portion has you comparing purses to try and find the one that has the bomb. I thought that was really intelligent. Afterwards, once you find the correct bag you have to disarm the bomb and that was also quite well done. I think a few more of these types of events could have really elevated the gameplay a bit because you had to think and the type of interaction with the menu based gameplay worked out really well. The gun sections... were okay. I never found any of them particularly challenging, minus the section where you are chasing a motorcyclist. That part was incredibly frustrating and I redid the section like 10 times trying to kill the jerk. Also, every time you failed you had to watch the game over screen, click continue, watch 45-60 seconds of cinematics again, before you could try again. However, the game was made in 95/96 so that was fairly normal for CD games of the era. I probably could beat that section on my first try now but up until that point you've only used your gun once or twice and not in anything like that. I breezed through the other sections no problem, but that damn guy on the motorcycle...

Honestly though, you don't play the game for the action sequences so that was fine. I really enjoyed the game a lot. Do I think it is as amazing as all the hype I've heard? No, but I think it is a pretty darn good game and I'm really glad it was translated. I was also pleased to see the translators fit their names into the credits as I think they deserved it for all the hard work they put into the translation. I'm glad I was finally able to play this one. Now off to Super Meat Boy since it was finally released physically for the PS4. I've been waiting to play my copy for a few weeks now and am excited to give it a try.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 6th, 2017, 3:36 am

I’ve built a big back log of games and I am currently really enjoying playing through it (dropping off trophy hunting has really allowed me to get through more games).

Policenauts: I’m currently past the half way mark of Act 1 and can pretty much echo Rev’s sentiments.
I don’t feel the game reaches the heights of Snatcher and I agree that the game gets bogged down a little with techno babble.
Overall though if you enjoyed Snatcher and this style of game Policenauts is a good time. Although I find myself only able to play in small chunks rather than long sessions. I guess my arcade trigger fingers pull me away to something more instantly gratifying.

[Minor Spoiler]
I have got to ask though - what is it with the boob thing ?
I’d hesitate to use the word grope, but you seem to be able to ‘bounce’ a lot of boobs. Initially found it amusing, but then a bit strange (hospital receptionist, air stewardess, director of an hospital?).
Maybe it’s a Japanese thing, but a lot of Kojima games have a humourous perv undertone to them. It’s certainly not something you would see today and probably why we haven’t seen a modern re-release.
Last edited by Sut on November 6th, 2017, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 6th, 2017, 10:37 am

For people that have played both, do you prefer Snatcher or Policenauts? I had always wanted to try Snatcher, and finally played it through til the end a few years ago. I liked it overall and glad I played it, but it's not a game that has stuck with me since then and not one I would put among my favorite games. If Policenauts is more of the same (or not as good), I'd probably pass on it.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 6th, 2017, 11:23 am

Definitely Snatcher. I think it's the superior game and if we had to get one I think we got the better game. Policenauts is a lot of fun but also goes overboard with explanations at times. Still it was fun just not as good as Snatcher.

JWK

Postby JWK » November 7th, 2017, 1:25 pm

I have played Policenauts on both ps1 and Saturn now and there’s no question that Snatcher is the better game. It’s probably my favorite visual novel. If you weren’t really into Snatcher I can’t imagine you’d dig Policenauts, but thats just me.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 7th, 2017, 8:36 pm

Thanks, good to know. In that case I'll probably pass on Policenauts. I had interest in Policenauts over the years, but was always curious how it stacked up to Snatcher. So with gaming time being short these days, I'd probably skip on it.

I liked Snatcher, just didn't love it. Maybe I hyped myself up for it too much. I'm a huge Kojima fan and read all the great Snatcher reviews over the years, so I had to own the game despite the price. Finally bought it in like 2010, but had my Sega CD in storage for years. It ate at me that I didn't play it til like 2015. By then, I had probably built up the hype too much in my head. Another problem..I'm a completionist and had to read like every single line of text in the game (clicking every option, trying to hear everything every character had to say), and that wears on you in a game like that.

Rev

Postby Rev » November 7th, 2017, 9:48 pm

Yeah, don't do Policenauts then, lol. It's way worse than Snatcher. I remember being like, "OMG... why does everyone know all these facts about everything in their house..." At times it felt like Kojima just copy and pasted text from an encyclopedia and was like "This sounds interesting!"I think if you go into the game with the mindset that you are going to skip all the unnecessary text (because it really doesn't matter) then you'll have a good time with it.

Sut

Postby Sut » November 8th, 2017, 3:39 am

Rev wrote:"OMG... why does everyone know all these facts about everything in their house..." At times it felt like Kojima just copy and pasted text from an encyclopedia and was like "This sounds interesting!"

Oh definitely. I think that’s why I only deal with one location per game session. Perhaps I should stop clicking everything, although I do find it mildly amusing. It can make the game seem a grind.

Snatcher definitely has better pacing.

Sut

Postby Sut » December 19th, 2017, 10:10 am

Just finished Policenauts and would grade it a B+.
Pretty much echo Rev’s sentiments.
The first two acts are very slow and laborious and may struggle to keep your interest.But then it really picks up during act 3 and beyond (in joke). Fascinating story and a few nice twists.
Enjoyed it but definitely not as good as Snatcher.
B+

Return to “Classic Gaming”